Gauges

-

zigs

Reaction score
Bought a set of after market gauges , all electrical , temp oil , volt. Directions say to wire power to ign start . My question is , can I put all three guages on one feed wire or would it be best to spread the load out . No indication in directions on what amps they pull .

I put mine on one they do not pull much, be surprised if totals a amp.

Thanks that's what I thought. Saves a lot of wiring head ache. What source did you use.

In case you are interested I did the same without any issue's at all.

I just cut short and tied (soldered) all the power wires together close to the back of the gauges and one wire off the fuse box accessory terminal works just fine since it is a keyed power source.

Same with the ground (cut tied all together and one wire from there to the ground on the column.)

The problem, "as always" is actually accessing "that wire." There is only one switched "run" wire which is the dark blue IGN1. It does not go through the fuse panel and is not fused. Probably easiest way is to either remove ign switch or remove switch connector, and tap into the dark blue, fuse inline, and run to gauges

If you have the cluster out of the dash, the "run" also runs up to the cluster connectors, and you can tap in there as well

OR if you "don't mind" the gauges being hot when the key is in "accessory" you can tap into one of the accessory circuits in the fuse panel. I don't sit around much with key in accessory, for me it would not be a big.

One thing I found, and I say this because you just called them "after market", cheap gauges are not even worth the time it takes to wire them. I thought I was buying decent gauges using SunPro, but they were one of their cheap lines and nothing but problems. I took them out this weekend but they have been completely useless while they were in.

One thing I found, and I say this because you just called them "after market", cheap gauges are not even worth the time it takes to wire them. I thought I was buying decent gauges using SunPro, but they were one of their cheap lines and nothing but problems. I took them out this weekend but they have been completely useless while they were in.

After market because they are not OEM. I didn't say they were cheap.

Thanks all. Pretty much what I figured.

Also pay attention to the destructions. Some gauges are a bridge circuit and MUST be grounded as per. Some are grounded through the mount, and some have a separate stud.

OR if you "don't mind" the gauges being hot when the key is in "accessory" you can tap into one of the accessory circuits in the fuse panel. I don't sit around much with key in accessory, for me it would not be a big.

That's how I got power to mine. I never sit around with the key in accessory position so it works for me.

Added: Mine are mechanical oil and water so only the lights needed power.

Also pay attention to the destructions. Some gauges are a bridge circuit and MUST be grounded as per. Some are grounded through the mount, and some have a separate stud.

Gauges aren't grounded to mounting which I like. Also gauge lights are separate. Taped into accessory , Volt pegged as should have. i'll have to wait to check other two gauges when I break in engine.

Ya I know. Its been over a year . I do miss it. But my new engine although not as eye catching , should be a real ripper.

-
Back