Gauging interest in 13" rotor mustang caliper brackets

-

MrBelvedere2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I wanted to gauge interest to see if its worth it to do a run if these Brackets.

First off these are sold by another guy but in my experience hes hard to find/ get ahold of because he has no website, but when you do, he ships out quick and with no issues.

So essentially these Brackets are made with 3/8 thick steel plate and bolt right on to your STOCK front drum spindle.
You then use your Factory drum hub and put some longer studs in.

Then this now gives you the ability to use budget friendly Factory 13.2 inch diameter rotors and calipers from a 2011-2014 Mustang GT.
Only modification is you have to open the bore on the rotor slightly to go over the mopar hub. It is so close you can do it with coarse sandpaper, no machine work.

You can order everything brake related at your local parts store or Rockauto.

But remember with brakes this big you have to run 17" diameter wheels.

I have them on my Road Racing endurance car, they work extremely well.

hopefully if there is enough interest I can do a production run and be able to sell them for $150-$200 a pair.

Post questions here or to say if you would like a set.
Thank you!

20240629_165257.jpg

20240326_173928.jpg

Which front hub is used? A body 10" brakes had a tiny hub and a 4" bolt circle, so not a "no machining" proposition. Are you using B/E body parts?

to run stock B-body Drum spindle on a 63-72 A-body you need large ball joint upper control arms and 73-76 A-body disk lower ball joint (same as 63-72 B-body and all E-body drum and disk lower ball joints).

what spindle is used? 72 older drum spindle, or 73 up drum spindle (which from autoxcuda's response might be the same as the older B body spindl, since the LBJ is the same between disk and drum '73 up...)

Which drum brake hub? Years ago I tried to find a big bolt drum hub and came up blank. Maybe I missed something though. I ended up cutting the rotor part off a stock rotor/hub and using that for my 13" Cobra/C5 caliper setup.

Which drum brake hub? Years ago I tried to find a big bolt drum hub and came up blank. Maybe I missed something though. I ended up cutting the rotor part off a stock rotor/hub and using that for my 13" Cobra/C5 caliper setup.
at this point that might be easier to source....

73+ i believe.
as far as drum brake hubs, you can usually find them cheap at swap meets. or you can do what you said and cut down a used rotor and make your own hub

73+ i believe.
as far as drum brake hubs, you can usually find them cheap at swap meets. or you can do what you said and cut down a used rotor and make your own hub

Far I as remember, all A-Body drum brakes are SBP. And B-Body drum brake hubs won't fit the later drum brake spindle, the inner wheel bearing is too small. Maybe they fit the early drum spindle? Never looked at those.

B/E Body cars probably aren't an issue, but I suspect there isn't anything for the A-Body cars unless the B-Body hub fits the early A-Body spindle. Either way, the '73+ cars are left out.

Far I as remember, all A-Body drum brakes are SBP. And B-Body drum brake hubs won't fit the later drum brake spindle, the inner wheel bearing is too small. Maybe they fit the early drum spindle? Never looked at those.

B/E Body cars probably aren't an issue, but I suspect there isn't anything for the A-Body cars unless the B-Body hub fits the early A-Body spindle. Either way, the '73+ cars are left out.
73 up drum brake spindle uses the same inner/outer bearing as a later F/M/J and '73-up B body

73 up drum brake spindle uses the same inner/outer bearing as a later F/M/J and '73-up B body

But did the '73+ B-Body come with drums?

The F/M/J cars were all disk brake only cars. No BBP drum brake hubs in that group.

So the '73+ A-Body drum brake spindles are great for brake swaps because they can use a disk rotor. But this is going the other direction, and based on the research I did back in '07 looking for this exact unicorn there are zero options for a BBP drum brake hub that works with the '73+ A-Body drum brake spindle. Unless I missed something.

It does look like a '72 and older A-Body drum spindle will accept a B-Body drum hub. Both appear to use a SET6 inner bearing and a SET2 outer (Timken), so as long as the pin is the same length this would work.

But the '73+ cars (all of them) would need to swap to the older spindle to use this kit. Unless I missed something. And don't forget this also means swapping to the smaller UBJ, or boring the spindle to fit the larger one.

There is the option of "making" a drum hub by sectioning the rotor off a stock hub. No idea if the offset is ok though.

Edit - Maybe the easiest option is to re-drill the A-Body drum hubs to 5x4.5. I forget about that option as I think the 8.75" axle flange is too small to do that comfortably. No idea if the front hub flange is bigger, but if it is it might be the best option.

-
Back