Gauging interest in my 1970 duster survivor

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
I picked up this duster last spring. Basically I was looking for a toy but ended up with a historical artifact. I don't really want to get rid of it, it's a nice car, but it's not what I really wanted. So I'm putting this out there to see what people think it is worth, and to see if anyone is interested in giving this car the home it deserves.

1970 225 duster, about 53000 miles, with working AC (either dealer installed or factory, but in any case it still works!). I got it from the nephew of the original owner. The woman who owned this car, Olga, bought it brand new when she was 53 years old. It's the classic "grandma's car" story, she drove it to the grocery store and church and she kept it garaged. A lot of the car is in really great shape. I have a lot of original documentation, including the original window sticker and the bill of sale, plus some old maintenance receipts. Plus I have receipts for pretty much everything I have done to the car since I got it (basic maintenance and tuneup).

On the negative side, the old lady seems to have hit a few things in her 40 years owning the car. It needs a little bodywork, including quarters, and a paintjob. Although for a NY car the rust is really not that bad.

When I bought the car I thought I was going to put a V8 in it and change the suspension and change the color and all that...make it a toy... but because of its background I really feel obligated to keep the car as original as possible. I feel that this car is a well preserved piece of history and deserves to be treated as such. So I only want to sell this car to someone who WANTS a piece of history like this. On the other hand, I'm not going to give the car away either. I spent a bit of money and time on this car, so if I can't seem to get what I want out of it, I'll hold on to it and try to preserve it as much as I can myself, even though it's not what I really want.

So what do you guys think? Is there a market for a granny car like this, unmolested, with original documentation? Do you think I can get a decent price for it or should I just hold onto it?

BTW, I took the side moldings off because some were falling off. I kept them though so I could match them to have them replaced.

100_1039.jpg

100_1023.jpg

100_1100C.jpg

Notice the damage on the rear in this pic (but I do have the centercaps for those cragars, they just aren't installed):
duster1120.jpg

how are the floors and rails i really like the looks of that car any underside pictures would help thanks

looks like a good hot rod canidate. being a 6 car and far from pristine id say it has no collector value IMO

how are the floors and rails i really like the looks of that car any underside pictures would help thanks

Rails are good all around. Floors are still good, but should get attention, there is some rust under the floormat. I might end up taking the seats and floormat out myself and doing something about it if I still have the car for a while. I'm pretty sure it just needs to be cleaned up and coated with POR-15.

I seem to have misplaced my camera. I'll try to find it and get some pics by tomorrow.

why not just put it up for what you paid for it? if you really only want to sell it to someone who will preserve it judge the potential buyers for yourself.

Nice looking car.

I was in a similar situation. I bought a 35K mile 71 Swinger. I got the window sticker, bill of sale, build sheet, some kind of inspection sheet, yada yada. Body was mint, interior was neat as a pin. I got it to hot rod, but was conflicted about the whole thing since it was such a nicely preserved car.

I decided to hot rod it anyway, but, I kept the trim on the side, and the @#!! vinyl roof. I left the interior alone other than non-permanently mounting some new gauges.

My plan basically ended up being that I was going to do the car like I wanted, but if there was ever a casting call for a 70s movie, all I'd have to do would be throw some rally wheels or steelies on it and it would look period correct (enough). The way I treat it, it will probably be preserved for a long long time.

I do wish I had saved the original 318 and trans, but, there's only so much room in the garage for something that would sit around till the kids have to get rid of it.

Of course, now I want to build it to go faster still, but that requires a roll bar and I'm once again in conflict. Probably going to get something else to go quicker than 11.49.

I'm very happy with the car.

My experience and the fact that these cars aren't worth very much right now, makes me say I think you should do what you want with your Duster.

So ole granny had the rear bumper guards put on so when she was Sunday driving to church and the car behind her was impatient and started to bump draft her the car would not get hurt?

I say hot rod the thing if that is what you want. Screw history. Gas is going through the roof and this may be hot rodding's last hurrah. Make it a gas and rubber burning rocket I say.

Don't feel bad because its a rare car. Plymouth made tens of thousands of /6 dusters. The only thing special about is the condition and that's what makes it the perfect car to "hot rod". You already did the smartest and most difficult thing possible by getting a solid 1970 body to work with on the east. Build it any way you like.

its a slant six car that needs quarters and god knows what else. build the thing like you want. its not like its a cream puff.

The rear bumper is not 70.

Looks the same as any bumper I've ever seen on any other 1970 duster... just this one has bumperettes.

Anyway, it looks like there's not much interest in this car for what it is, only for what else it could be.

But, tonight I went and did some touch-up work, temporary painting to seal up chips and make it look a little better. Then I sat and looked at the car for a while. And the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. It's a nice car. So I plan on keeping it and restoring it pretty much to original, except I think I'll leave the moldings off and leave the cragars on. I'll just keep my eye out for another duster to make into a hotrod.

Its clean but not clean enough and its a ugly color.So take apart and repaint and hot rod it.

Did you see the pristine 71 Duster 6cyl survivor on here last month. It was WAY nicer than yours and I believe sold for only around $7-8K. I'd build yours however you'd like.

Love the 70 Plymoth Duster myself :thumrigh:
keep it and drive it... That's what I do with my /6 Plymouth :glasses2:
Yours is a Duster and easy / economical to keep on the road and ready for a drive to the local restaurant for a 11 oz Salmon and beer.:glasses2:
And if everything has been looked at it makes a great looking car that is simple to fix on road trips I would not have a clue on newer cars, so many dang wires, computers, relays .... Enjoy it.

Love my Plymouth, Dusters a cool for sure :thumrigh:

Attachments

• 66%20day%20after%20005.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Ralley's%20004.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 210
I was in the same position as you with my 72 Duster.I planned on at first restoring it to stock,slant 6,hubcaps and everything,but I also craved that V8 sound and power and hot rod look,lol

The car looks to be in fine condition,still lots in nicer condition floating around(6 cyl cars)I say turn it into a V8 car and enjoy it for what you really want.:glasses7:

Did you see the pristine 71 Duster 6cyl survivor on here last month. It was WAY nicer than yours and I believe sold for only around $7-8K. I'd build yours however you'd like.

I remember it. It's in my garage. Lindsey loves it!

Few minutes in Photoshop, and voila!

LindseysDuster.jpg

IMG_30201.jpg

-
Back