Gauging interest

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
Howdy I'm back at it again, as some of you know I have a '75 duster shell that needs a bit of love and I am gauging interest to see if it is worth fixing for resale.

The plan is to fix the rusted floors and 1/4, put '70 doors on and a '71 dart nose and put a demon tail panel in. So it would be a '71 demon clone with a '75 duster title.

I would do all the hard work of paint and body and most likely paint it hemi orange and stripe it just like a real demon. (being a body man who does restoration for a living it would be done right, yes it would be put on a rotisserie as well.)

The car would be sold as a painted partially assembled roller (SBP slant 6 K member) so the buyer would have the option of any power train and interior they desired. (my recommendation would be to buy a '73-'76 more door and swap everything over)

My hope would be to get somewhere in the 4-5k range

Do you think this would be even remotely possible?

Seems like alot of work to sell and that,s if it sells?It sounds like a good plan if you were keeping the car.JMO.8)

I say $3k and your in the money, unless all the interior is all done and you know everything works well on the roller. Then its looking at more like 4. But thats my opinion as just some random young gun. In you area, since you are close to Canada. Im sure you could fetch that atleast.

he will be in easily 3grand in time and paint/ mud/ body parts...

i would say 5 is good but its gonna be hard to sell because of the economy...

It will be a bit of work but why not? I am kinda sorta broke right now and since I have most everything to do it I think I could make a decent return on investment.

It will be a bit of work but why not? I am kinda sorta broke right now and since I have most everything to do it I think I could make a decent return on investment.

see if u can build it to order so to speak, half now, half later, they pick the color and maybe u can get farther with the car with there parts...

he will be in easily 3grand in time and paint/ mud/ body parts...

i would say 5 is good but its gonna be hard to sell because of the economy...

Awh but your forgetting that I have all the parts that I need... I do this for a living so it wouldn't be all that big a deal

............Now thats a good deal.......heck i'd b pretty darn interested in it.........kim..............

PM and we could talk

Color and everything else can be changed heck I could even offer it as a fully redone car but the price would go up.

Seems like alot of work to sell and that,s if it sells?It sounds like a good plan if you were keeping the car.JMO.8)

I agree. That's a lot of work for $4-5k. By the time you figure what the shell is worth, and the parts to make your clone, the extra paint and materials to do a rotisserie-type paint job, there isn't going to be much money for your labor.
If your '75 shell is decent and complete as is, my recommendation would be to repair the rust, do a nice paint job in a popular color, and sell it like that. Just paint the outside, engine compartment, jambs, and trunk, undercoat the underneath. I would think the majority of the potential buyers (general public, not hardcore Mopar guys) wouldn't care if it's a Demon clone or not, and most wouldn't know the difference in a Demon or Duster. And I think it would bring nearly as much money, without nearly as much time and money invested on your part.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Dallas
BTW, I just found out how slow I type. I was replying directly to pettyblue's post and there were 9 posts in between while I typed my reply. LOL

I personally don't like orange but I know a lot of other people do and I have a lot of hemi orange paint at my disposal. I have no problems building to suit with a deposit down.

I agree. That's a lot of work for $4-5k. By the time you figure what the shell is worth, and the parts to make your clone, the extra paint and materials to do a rotisserie-type paint job, there isn't going to be much money for your labor.
If your '75 shell is decent and complete as is, my recommendation would be to repair the rust, do a nice paint job in a popular color, and sell it like that. Just paint the outside, engine compartment, jambs, and trunk, undercoat the underneath. I would think the majority of the potential buyers (general public, not hardcore Mopar guys) wouldn't care if it's a Demon clone or not, and most wouldn't know the difference in a Demon or Duster. And I think it would bring nearly as much money, without nearly as much time and money invested on your part.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Dallas

True but what sells? a '75 duster or a demon? (not to mention I may have sold off the duster nose and happen to have a dart nose) It would go on the rotisserie merely to touch up all the undercoating after I get done replacing the floors that are rusty.

I have been doing A body stuff for a long time so the amount of parts I have is decent.

You are right though the general public just cares that it looks straight and is shinny.

Regardless of duster or demon I still have rust to repair and the engine bay has to be blasted as well as the door jams.

Being young and stupid this is something I can do on the weekends lol

Being young and stupid this is something I can do on the weekends lol

I have been there and done that. LOL However, now I'm old, cranky, hurt all the time, and am too tired to work all weekend after working all week. I used to do stuff just because I could, and I enjoyed it. Now I try to make sure it pays off somehow.

Looks like you might have gotten some interest while I was typing my previous post. If you could build to order as mentioned, might be a good deal for you and the buyer. You could get some working capitol to start, and the buyer wouldn't be out all the money at once. Be aware, though, that these projects can get bogged down due to other things coming up. It would be imperative to get it done in a timely manner or your buyer can get discouraged with the deal. (Not talking of anyone specific here, it's just that I've seen it happen alot with these type of deals.)
Dallas

I have been there and done that. LOL However, now I'm old, cranky, hurt all the time, and am too tired to work all weekend after working all week. I used to do stuff just because I could, and I enjoyed it. Now I try to make sure it pays off somehow.

Looks like you might have gotten some interest while I was typing my previous post. If you could build to order as mentioned, might be a good deal for you and the buyer. You could get some working capitol to start, and the buyer wouldn't be out all the money at once. Be aware, though, that these projects can get bogged down due to other things coming up. It would be imperative to get it done in a timely manner or your buyer can get discouraged with the deal. (Not talking of anyone specific here, it's just that I've seen it happen alot with these type of deals.)
Dallas

Most certainly very good advice too heed.

-
Back