Gear Oil

-
My dad went through 2 different cone type sure grips when using Amsoil synthetic gear oil. I installed another, with the Lakewood BFL and had zero problems. That’s why I thought it was the synthetic gear oil. I have not tried synthetic with the clutch type, but if it is working for you, good
I think I will just use the amzoil in the trans and get stinky stuff for the diff. Thanks for posting this stuff.

Wolf's Head. LOL Hadn't heard that in years.

So this sure grip has tapered axle bearings and no button between axles, I believe it has the block....Still 'cone' style?

A few replies have said not to use syn oil. Other than 'opinions', what evidence is there that it causes problems.
My GTO also has a cone type LSD rear axle. It had slight gear whine when coasting. I tried two mineral oils with the correct LSD additive, made no difference to the whine.
I then used Redline 75/140 syn & it almost completely eliminated the noise. Twenty six years later, still using Redline & zero problems.
When the manufacturer advises against it, and a close friend who builds rearends for a living refuses to use it, from his personal experience, I tend to listen.
I've been using Dino gear oil for fifty years, no problems. Don't see a reason to change now.

Wolf's Head. LOL Hadn't heard that in years.

They were a little independent, regional lube company in Oil City when Pennzoil bought them out in the early '60s. Some production and admin processes were combined, but they were marketed and distributed separately for 30 years. In the '90s Pennzoil started selling Wolf's Head directly alongside Pennzoil branded packaged products as a lower price alternative. The independent parts stores (R.I.P.) bought it like crazy. It was a decent product, then chemically identical to Valvoline. When Shell bought out Pennzoil and Quaker State in 2004, they sold off Wolf's Head to Amalie a few years later. Amalie now operates them out of Florida. Shell said Wolf's Head didn't fit in their "strategic vision." Too bad because I'd sold the heck out of it. I guess I don't fit their strategic vision anymore, either! :(
:wtf:

They were a little independent, regional lube company in Oil City when Pennzoil bought them out in the early '60s. Some production and admin processes were combined, but they were marketed and distributed separately for 30 years. In the '90s Pennzoil started selling Wolf's Head directly alongside Pennzoil branded packaged products as a lower price alternative. The independent parts stores (R.I.P.) bought it like crazy. It was a decent product, then chemically identical to Valvoline. When Shell bought out Pennzoil and Quaker State in 2004, they sold off Wolf's Head to Amalie a few years later. Amalie now operates them out of Florida. Shell said Wolf's Head didn't fit in their "strategic vision." Too bad because I'd sold the heck out of it. I guess I don't fit their strategic vision anymore, either! :(
:wtf:
There's no "were" about it. It's still being produced. We had a local used car dealer and that's all he'd use. The Oreilly where I worked still stocks it for him.

There's no "were" about it. It's still being produced. We had a local used car dealer and that's all he'd use. The Oreilly where I worked still stocks it for him.
They were a company that owned and operated oil wells, a refinery, blending and packaging plants, and had their own network of distributors. None of that exists anymore. What survives is a logo, which is owned by Amalie, and attached to stuff they make. Amalie's history is like Wolf's Head's in that they were independent, bought, sold, and spun off, and other than logos and slogans have no connection their origins. They are no longer a crude producer or refiner, just a blender and packager. Sad as it is, just 21st century business.

They were a company that owned and operated oil wells, a refinery, blending and packaging plants, and had their own network of distributors. None of that exists anymore. What survives is a logo, which is owned by Amalie, and attached to stuff they make. Amalie's history is like Wolf's Head's in that they were independent, bought, sold, and spun off, and other than logos and slogans have no connection their origins. They are no longer a crude producer or refiner, just a blender and packager. Sad as it is, just 21st century business.
Yeah kinda like mortgages are bought and sold. lol

Post #24. The label says for use in hypoid limited slip differentials. That is what we are talking about here. It does NOT say: do not use in cone type LSDs.

-
Back