gear size with 408 and 833

-

dans4door1970

Reaction score
Dropping in a 408 dyno at 503hp. I have a 833 overdrive 4speed with tall gears. I'm talking under 3 ratio. I think 298?? ratio. Anyway, will this be a disaster unless I go to lower gears in the 8 3/4 or will I get away with it as a driver??:coffee2::finga::smile::cheese:;)

It's just my opinion,, but it would be a shame to stifle that beautiful engine with anything lower (numerically) than 3:23,, but my preference would be 3:55 with that torque..

tire size is definately to be considered..

Dan, with the 3.09 1st gear, a high "2" number should be fine.....If, it's more of a driver then a hotrod and you have decent vacuum with a "drivable" cam choice. Normally most will use a tire size in the 26/27" max. diameter range on a standard A body, so I think your good there.

The real concern that jumped out at me from the beginning is the 833OD use with the amount of torque that your 4" arm engine is producing. I see no issues in some "spirited" driving, but if you decide to hammer it with some sticky tires.......I wonder about durability? Maybe some others with hands on experience can answer that question.

-
Back