Gear suggestions please

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
Okay I've decided to start to piece together a new rear end to replace the 7 1/4 w/ 2.76 gears that I've got in my '73 swinger. i'm hoping a few folks who've been through this or have some knowledge on complimentary set up can chime in.

I've got a 318 w/ 904
302 heads w/ 188.160 valves, bowl blended & gasket matched
comp cam (xe268 )
dual exhaust w/ x-pipe
holley 600 vac sec
235-60-14 rear tires (25" tall)
2000RPM stall

I'm picking up an 8.25 rear housing this weekend & plan to start the search for a carrier (haven't decided if this cruiser build warrants sure grip or peg-leg) but have been going back & forth on the gear selection.

I have a relatively short tire & mild build but would still like to break the tires loose when I want to. I'm not building a car to take to the track, but if I decide to, I'd like to have gears that would make it fun.

I've waffled between 2.94/3.21/3.55. I want shorter than than the 2.76 I've got but would like to keep rpms around 3000 or so at 65 if possible. This is not my daily driver, solely a source of enjoyment.

Also I know we all would prefer a sure grip but for cruising & showing off will I really be missing it if I decide to use an open carrier? They are so much more friendly to my already bleeding wallet.

I've waffled between 2.94/3.21/3.55. I want shorter than than the 2.76 I've got but would like to keep rpms around 3000 or so at 65 if possible.

I have 14” tires, 3.55 8 ¾ Suregrip, 3000 rpm = 60 mph. I think it is a bit busy on a long ride. 3.21 would put you in just below 3000 rpm at 65 mph depending on tire radius. Do the math, or find a drive train online calculator and plug in your numbers.

The early standard three speed cars used a 3.21 ratio.

Sounds to me like your leaning more towards the performance side, so i'd go with the 3.55s. As far as the non sure grip, i've run mid 13s with a open 3.23 with almost no spin at all. Did have soft compound belted tires on it though.

Go with 3.55's and then fit a taller tire if it's to buzzy on the highway. A 318 will do 3000 RPM as long as you want to listen to it without hurting anything.

Sounds to me like your leaning more towards the performance side, so i'd go with the 3.55s. As far as the non sure grip, i've run mid 13s with a open 3.23 with almost no spin at all. Did have soft compound belted tires on it though.

I'd say I am lean more toward performance. However, I've also learned the value of balance. Sounds like you had pretty fond memories of the 3.23, & wjajr seems to think the rpms of the 3.21's wouldn't be killing me if I decided to drive it to an event (say, Reno or Madera or LA).

Hard to say how often or far I'll be driving, since until recently the Dart was just the centerpiece of my garage. I enjoy driving more than most people I know, even when there's no where to go.

Anymore feedback from those who may have had the different gears & what they did like and dislike them for?

I have 3.55 gear and with the short F70 X 14 tires it is pretty busy on the highway...

jeff if i was you i would get the 355s.you will enjoy your car more .the difference in milage wont be very much,and it will come off the line better.i think the carrier out of a dakota truc is the same.that said if you stick with a peg leg get 323s mike plus pegleg burnouts are LAME! lol

I was leaning towards 3.55 for what your wanting.

Iam going 3.91:1/suregrip, but Iam destined for more "enthusiastic street use"!

:thumbup:

Almost overwhelming response for the 3.55's. I didn't even think of changing tires for longer runs & I've got a bare set of steelies sitting in the garage doing nothing but accumulating dust. That's a pretty good Idea.

Mike, you did this swap, didn't you? Did you go with the sure grip after you blew up your 7.25? If so, where did you find yours? open carriers on e-bay go for as low as $30, but since my 7.25 is still functional I have some time to save for the right price on a sure grip if you have any leads on one.

jeff if i was you i would get the 355s.you will enjoy your car more .the difference in milage wont be very much,and it will come off the line better.i think the carrier out of a dakota truc is the same.that said if you stick with a peg leg get 323s mike plus pegleg burnouts are LAME! lol

Almost overwhelming response for the 3.55's. I didn't even think of changing tires for longer runs & I've got a bare set of steelies sitting in the garage doing nothing but accumulating dust. That's a pretty good Idea.

Mike, you did this swap, didn't you? Did you go with the sure grip after you blew up your 7.25? If so, where did you find yours? open carriers on e-bay go for as low as $30, but since my 7.25 is still functional I have some time to save for the right price on a sure grip if you have any leads on one.

Like bad440 said, I believe the Dakotas limited slip will work.

For better off the line performance swap a low gear set into your transmission. Pretty much any 80's or later 904 based transmission will have this.

yea i did,got a carrier from pick n pull out of a dakota truck.it was 355 i'm pretty sure.anyway it worked,just need a tool to measure the pinion to set it up.....and cheap,i got my carrier for 45 bucks.i'll show you whats up.....:burnout:

oh mine has an 8 3/4 now, found it in a buddys 72 6 cylinder swinger.

-
Back