Gears?need your help.

-

NEWATTHIS

Reaction score
Hi everyone, again help is much grateful. I have a 1974 dodge dart sport with a rebuilt 318. The engine has a 600 eddy carb with the #2176 eddy performance manifold. The heads are stock( for now), but the plan is to get the 318 heads reworked, or a set of 360 heads reworked, or try and find a set of 302s with 188 valves. I have a comp cam 477,480 with the 904 tranny. Being that iam a newbie and this is my first mopar build, must also mention that the pistons are stock, but it is at zero deck. I have been scanning this site about which gears to use in my car. I dont really care about the gas mileage or highway driving, just a nice romping 318 street car, with good jam out of the hole. The car now ha s the 7 and one quarter 256 gear rear end, but was planning on changing to the 8 AND 3 Quarter sure grip, with a 3000 stall. Which gears will be the best for me? I was thinking with that stall maybe 410s or 430s or 456s. Please let me know what you think, dont want to get the wrong choice and have it be a dog. Is the stall okay? .Thanks guys , like i said before iam a newbe and need help to be steered in the right direction. Newatthis

Well no fear Newatthis, those gear choices will perform real well with no hint of the canine variety. If it's just around town and you're thinking about adding some omf later I'd go with the 4.10 with your other higher gear choices you may find that the 318 will ring out to quick. You may also want to look at 3.91 which I think is a great cruising around town gear yet not to bad on the highway if you don't want to go any faster than 100 km/hr (3000 rpm) for long stretches. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Terry

Thanks for the information gentlemen, i am running a set of 15 inche centre line wheels, the tires are mickey thompson the size is 28 by 10 and one half, it seems to me that from the information iam getting that the 410s would be the best. How about the 3000 stall? is thaat about right? should i go higher or lower. Is the 904 tranny tough enough to do the job? Thanks for the advice. Newatthis

-
Back