Gen 3 with motor plate location

-

spoolintsi97

Reaction score
Ok. So im installing my 6.1 in my 69 Dart with a motor plate. Does anyone know the proper location of where i should mount it? Thanks

depends on what your going for
i would suggest the engine bay, but someone would be bound to bring these guys up again

hemi_u10.jpg

Well i was actually thinking about trying to mount it in the pass seat but i dont know how to go about doing it.

that is brilliant
as long as you weigh about as much as the hemi, that would make for a great weight distribution (at least, left to right)

just use a set of ofset mounts like they did on the /6, but be sure to flip them around for V8 usage

that is brilliant
as long as you weigh about as much as the hemi, that would make for a great weight distribution (at least, left to right)

just use a set of ofset mounts like they did on the /6, but be sure to flip them around for V8 usage
Ok. Lets be serious now. For gen 3 hemi with motor plate. Do i center it between frame rails? Offset it and line up crank with rear pinion yoke? How far can i move it back? Or should i just put it close to stock motor location? Pros and cons of moving it back. Is there a good front to rear weight distribution % i should try to shoot for?

i wish i could help you, but this is out of my comfort zone
i know the stock V8s are off set (and that is why the pinion is offset)
personally, thats what i would go for, get the crank centerline in line with the pinion

then move it as far back as possible for weight distribution and accessory room up front

did you check some of the builds allready in progress?
im sure someone tackled this before (maybe not with a engine plate, but same principles apply)

i wish i could help you, but this is out of my comfort zone
i know the stock V8s are off set (and that is why the pinion is offset)
personally, thats what i would go for, get the crank centerline in line with the pinion

then move it as far back as possible for weight distribution and accessory room up front

did you check some of the builds allready in progress?
im sure someone tackled this before (maybe not with a engine plate, but same principles apply)
Its been a while since ive been on here. Ill check around. More room up front would be nice. Single 86mm turbo going up front. Already mounting rad on front side of rad support. I just didnt know if i moved it back too far would it cause it to not handle right. Im thinking i need to line it up with pinion centerline too. Some say to center it and the u joints will take up the offset. I dont think thats a good idea with a motor probably putting out 1200hp

1200 HP ?
that'll make you giggle

what are you planning on doing with it?
street use?
drag racing?
id imagine the more weight on the back the better?

1200 HP ?
that'll make you giggle

what are you planning on doing with it?
street use?
drag racing?
id imagine the more weight on the back the better?
Street legal car. Going to run it at some of the street car shootouts and drive to some cruisins.

so i would imagine handling is somewhat of a priority?

try to split the weight 50-50
(and i understand im not saying anything new here, just trying to think along)

so i would imagine handling is somewhat of a priority?

try to split the weight 50-50
(and i understand im not saying anything new here, just trying to think along)
Yes. I know a guy with a similiar setup in a 67 dart but hes using mounts of some sort. He has been 133 in the 1/8. Hes changing to motor plate soon.

I'm in the process of switching over to motor plate in my '70 Duster drag car. Going with the standard offset:
MotorPlate01.jpg

No mid plate, I'm going to leave the solid motor mounts attached. I'm really just using it as a backing plate for an electric water pump, I don't run the kind of HP your talking about.

I'm in the process of switching over to motor plate in my '70 Duster drag car. Going with the standard offset:
View attachment 1714994909
No mid plate, I'm going to leave the solid motor mounts attached. I'm really just using it as a backing plate for an electric water pump, I don't run the kind of HP your talking about.
Is that a car or truck front cover? I have the same motor plate. i relocated alt to drivers side where ac comp used to mount. At 1st he made me a plate just to use bbc water pump but i decided to use motor plate so i sold it and got motor plate for bbc water pump as well.

my 67 truck front with plate. it is very offset from center as a typcal gen2 hemi at 2 1/8" towards the pass side. my rear end is also offset

20151205_205450_zpscwto5owr.jpg

Last edited:
BTW make sure you apply very heavy gasket goop to the mating surfaces, and don't trust O-rings to seal by themselves. Ask me how I know. I'm glad distilled water is cheap...

-
Back