Gen2 Barracuda Convertible vs Notchback Rear Ends

-

Mopar Virgin

Reaction score
Just went through the moment of truth with my '68 Barracuda convertible RestoMod project by having the body sandblasted. BAD NEWS -- the rear was a bondo cover-up of a light rear-end accident that requires replacement of both rear quarter panels and the lower valance. Estimated body work before paint (including driver door skin replacement) is $10K minimum.

QUESTION: Aside from the light assembly and trunk nuances from year to year, does anyone definitively know if the rear clip of the cars (convertible and notchback) across the years could be interchangeable? Idea would be to weld-in a fully intact rear using full or partial quarter panels on backward.

The rest of the car is in great condition with no rust at all so trying to find a cost-effective way to keep the project alive and appreciate any insights on this

67’-69’ notchback and convertible are basically the same so yea you could use the parts from the three years with exception of the quarter panels having marker light differences or lack there of but that could be corrected. Also obviously there wouldn’t be sail panels on a convertible. I’m not at all up on convertibles so I’m sure someone knows more than I.

Last edited:
The big differences in convertibles is the inner and out wheelhouses that have a flatter section welded in at the top, and of course the trunk springs are shorter as well as parts that they fit into. The trunk floor, quarters, and rear valance can be used, but there are some slight differences of course the tops of the quarters on the c-pillar for the hardtop vs convertibles...

I don't believe '66 quarters or rear splash pans are similar. '67-69 and more importantly post#3.

AMD has the lower valance and 1967 FB quarters which can be used by your body shop.
10 G sounds pretty high, like they don't want to do it.

Sounds like it just needs skins but pictures would be useful

I don't believe '66 quarters or rear splash pans are similar. '67-69 and more importantly post#3.

oh I fat fingered the keyboard on the 67’ yes 66’ is nothing like 67’-69’ it’s corrected.

-
Back