Gen2 Barracuda Tail Lights ... All the Same?

-

Mopar Virgin

Reaction score
Pulling apart my '68 convertible further today for the RestoMod. My question is whether the tail lights were all the same in '67-'69?

Something weird is going on in the back-end that is likely bad prior body work but I want to inquire the Forum for thoroughness. Appears we may have to cut-out the tail light sections on both sides. The trunk sits proud of the tail lights about 3-4mm/0.25" but the trunk gaps all-the-way-around the two rear quarter panel and deck fits perfectly. The two tail light assemblies, however, do not sit properly into their body wells -- there is a gap. This would indicate the rear was hit, but the truck fitting fine is suspect in being proud to the tail lights (possibly a replacement trunk too).

1967-9 Barracuda taillights are each different in trim only. The basic housing will fit all three years but will require matching trunk trim to complete it. You can have '67 taillights and '69 trunk trim but it just wouldn't look right. I think there are only two trunk lids- fastback and coupe/convertible.

Yup, '67-9 are all different. How about a photo of what you have?

The right side is the same situation ...

Bcuda - 1 (1).jpg

Bcuda - 1 (2).jpg

Bcuda - 1 (3).jpg

Bcuda - 1.jpg

Check inside trunk and on decklid for signs of repair. Looks nice, but way off. I think it should fit better.

Heres our 67, not perfect but never been hit, the way it left the factory. Your bumper looks tight?

20220607_025154.jpg

20220607_025209.jpg

20220607_025228.jpg

This might help. The back of the housing has four mounting studs. The mounting brackets inside the trunk are easily bent to adjust the alignment of the housing. One other thing might help is the addition of the housing gasket which can space the housing away from the sheet metal a little bit. DMT makes the t/lite gaskets but I prefer to re-use the originals with a little bit of string caulk.

If 'ya all could take a look at the first of the pictures I posted and zoom in, you'll see that there is a large gap between the concave car body receiving section and the lower rear of the light assembly. It's as-if the they are mismatched (same on the other side). I can't foresee and scenario whereby the car body would have been affected in a way that made that concave area deeper or "pinched to lower the height of the concave detail in a way that could cause that gapping and misalignment. Any thoughts?

-
Back