General A/C Installation Questions

-

fzmax

Reaction score
Recently I bought a universal kit to install in my Valiant. There are a few items that the installation instructions don't address and the place I got the kit from hasn't gotten back to me yet. Does it matter if the service ports are at the highest point in the system? Would it be OK to put the service port near the condenser instead of the compressor? Does the dryer need to be mounted upright or is it OK to lay it on its side? Any information would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that that they actually use a receiver/drier and they should be mounted vertically, not on their sides, as a good deal of the systems charge hangs out in there in the form of a liquid.

Thanks, that's good info that just wasn't in the instructions.

The dryer needs to be more-or-less upright. You can angle it slightly but horizontal placement is not okeh; there have been dryers meant for horizontal mounting, but they are internally different than dryers meant for vertical mounting.
The low side ("suction") service port can go anywhere on the low side of the system and the high side ("discharge") service port can go anywhere on the high side of the system. Place them for convenience, but try and maximise the distance between the low side port and the compressor so you don't have to worry about slugging the compressor with liquid refrigerant by mistake while charging. You needn't make them the highest points in the system, but if you make them the lowest points you'll be creating a nuisance for yourself during system service (oil puddles at the low points).

I am assuming you still have a slant-6 engine in your '63, in which case you should be aware that the commercially-available compressor mount/drive kit is poorly thought out and tends to make problems with underhood interference of the compressor either at the front (too far forward, hits cooling fan) or back (too far rearward, doesn't work with some manifolds and air cleaners). If you don't have factory parts, there is one (and only one) A/C compressor mount-and-drive setup worth messing with. It's the one designed and produced by Charlie Schmidt; see here. Check your kit and see if it came with a good parallel-flow condenser rather than a cheap old-type (and no longer adequate with R134a) serpentine variety; see here and here. You will need to upgrade the engine cooling system. The stock 4-blade fan will not be adequate, nor will the stock radiator; the engine will overheat and the A/C will perform poorly when the car's standing still or moving slowly. See here for radiator upgrade info on the pre-'65 cars (w/o radiator support panel cutout for wider radiator core). Shouldn't be hard to get someone to sell you a stock 6- or 7-blade A/C-spec rad fan. Clearance is SUPER tight between the rear of the radiator and the front of the engine; no room for such luxuries as a clutch-type fan.

You will find even a well-engineered and properly-selected and -installed A/C system will have a very difficult time cooling a steel box in the sun unless you give it a fighting chance by keeping some of the heat out. Step number one: thoughtfully pick a good variety of window tint film—not the cheap grey/purple junk; see my comments here—and have it applied.

Thanks Dan, there's a ton of great info in your post.

Charlie's bracket is on it's way as we speak. I was going to fab my own, but being that it took me the better part of a day to get the condenser and evaporator mounted where I wanted them I figured it would be snowing by the time I had finished a bracket that I liked.

The cooling system is on my list of things to do. I love the radiator you have, but that's probably not going to make it into this year's budget. I've already started on a shroud, but even though the rest of the cooling system is in good shape I don't expect that will be enough.

As far as window tinting goes, I hate the look of tinted windows. Does the tint need to be dark to be effective?

Thanks again

No, the tint needn't be the gangsta/limo type of blackout look to be effective. I really like the slightly green, slightly mirrored effect of the Llumar film on my (green) '62 Lancer. It looks darker in this photo than it appears in person.

62_Lancer_F34_72.jpg

-
Back