General Suspenison Question

-

72DartSwingerV8

Reaction score
Alright, so I recently rebuilt the steering with new tie rod ends, pitman, idler, upper and lower ball joints. The bushings on my strut bar are cracked pretty badly but I'm wondering if they need to be replaced and if not what will happen? I went to autozone and they don't carry torsion bar or strut bar bushings and I don't know where to get them. Is it worth the trouble just for a mild engined street car or will it be a noticeable difference?

Ya thats what I figured. But I didn't know if these were going to be really expensive special order stuff. I'll try out the local place tomorrow.

You've done half the job, do the rest. How are your upper & lower control arm bushings? Replace those while you are at it and be done.
C

Bushings are the major thing to replace do them all. Its a no brainer. Why put new wipers on a broken windshield.

Also, the loss of free play in the new suspension parts transfers more stress to the worn bushings. Of course, Autozone definitely sucks, Rainman.

yes, Correction: Strut Rod bushings...it will firm up the ride. pst/just suspension, mancini racing all have them too, there is polyurethane ones available too. if you can and havent done so, replace your upper and lower control arm bushings, as was previously mentioned. :)

The torsion bars don't actually have a bushing. There is a dust cap at the rear to keep dirt & water out of the socket. At the front it slides into the lower control arm. No bushing.
C

The torsion bars don't actually have a bushing. There is a dust cap at the rear to keep dirt & water out of the socket. At the front it slides into the lower control arm. No bushing.
C

Yes. I got them confused, lol. I meant strut rod and typed torsion bar. lol I corrected it. :)

That makes more sense now. I should be getting everything in today so I can put my new front end together. Thanks for the help.

-
Back