Get rid of the like button

-
The like button serves to say that you agree with the statement. The member that "likes" or "agrees" may have nothing to add to the conversation, it's like grunting or nodding your head during a discussion. You don't interrupt someone to say "hey, yes, but i have nothing to add" do you?

Now, if we are to be Miss Congeniality here, Ill go out on a limb to say that if you DISAGREE, you should have to make a valid counterpoint.

That makes sense......to me.

So, the red X would not actually show up, unless you had something to retort..... but im not running this shindig so there's my $0.02.

Out

IMG_5894.gif

I find the reaction buttons supplant critical thinking. We’re literally dumbing ourselves down by reducing the use of actual language to communicate.

Liking something means nothing because you can randomly like anything and everything. What’s to stop someone from going through every single post on the front page and just hitting the like button for every one they open without offering a single thing in return? What is the value in that?

Last time I checked, this is a forum based on discussion, not getting votes. Presumably, we’re all here because we like Mopar A bodies and general car stuff which should put everyone on relatively equal footing. Car discussions generally center around technical or procedural information. Explain to me how liking or disliking things of that nature is useful in regards to what's being discussed. It’s not.

If you don't like what me or anyone else says, move on or respectfully say why. If you like or agree with what me or someone else says, use your brain and say why. It's not that hard.

Regardless of what people choose to think about the things I say, I'm 110% certain I don’t need my ego stroked with a like about it. I post things here because I have a genuine interest in the subject at hand and enjoy sharing what I’m doing or helping other like-minded people. The last thing I care about is whether someone likes what I have to say or not.

I don't know about anyone else but I put thought into just about every post I make and try to choose my words carefully. Conversely, the like button requires zero thought or commitment. I’ve been here a long time but my post count is still on the low side. Why? Because I don’t respond to everything I read unless I have something thoughtful to say or add.

Express yourself with words, not a meaningless icon.
Guy takes a good amount of time and thought and writes out a nice post.

Then gets Slammed with a Red X.

Pretty typical and most don't follow up why.

A few people here would have a mental meltdown if the red X disappeared. :rolleyes:
Agreed, They might be served to have to articulate their X.

And, the somewhat popular "fat finger errant X" from thumbing on the cell phone, would prompt you for the "retort", alerting you to your decision to disagree.

It might eliminate the errant X altogether.

Now, let's talk about the hi-jack button........i could use one of those right now!

I find the reaction buttons supplant critical thinking. We’re literally dumbing ourselves down by reducing the use of actual language to communicate.

Liking something means nothing because you can randomly like anything and everything. What’s to stop someone from going through every single post on the front page and just hitting the like button for every one they open without offering a single thing in return? What is the value in that?

Last time I checked, this is a forum based on discussion, not getting votes. Presumably, we’re all here because we like Mopar A bodies and general car stuff which should put everyone on relatively equal footing. Car discussions generally center around technical or procedural information. Explain to me how liking or disliking things of that nature is useful in regards to what's being discussed. It’s not.

If you don't like what me or anyone else says, move on or respectfully say why. If you like or agree with what me or someone else says, use your brain and say why. It's not that hard.

Regardless of what people choose to think about the things I say, I'm 110% certain I don’t need my ego stroked with a like about it. I post things here because I have a genuine interest in the subject at hand and enjoy sharing what I’m doing or helping other like-minded people. The last thing I care about is whether someone likes what I have to say or not.

I don't know about anyone else but I put thought into just about every post I make and try to choose my words carefully. Conversely, the like button requires zero thought or commitment. I’ve been here a long time but my post count is still on the low side. Why? Because I don’t respond to everything I read unless I have something thoughtful to say or add.

I’m 100% certain this entire thread is about stroking your ego, especially after this post.

You made your opinion pretty clear the first time, this rehash only serves to show that you don’t actually save your responses for when you have something thoughtful to add.

Not everyone agrees with you, and it’s not because you weren’t clear the first time around.

Guy takes a good amount of time and tought and writes out a nice post.

Then gets Slammed with a Red X.

Pretty typical and most don't follow up why.

I wouldn’t say it’s typical at all, you really don’t see a ton of the red x’s.

And a lot of people do follow up why. I know I try and make a point to explain why I disagreed, and I really try (but don’t always succeed) to only hit “disagree” with things that are factually incorrect.

You can see who disagreed with a post too, it’s not anonymous. I’ve tagged people before to see if they’d post why. Sometimes they don’t, but hey, that’s life.

I’m 100% certain this entire thread is about stroking your ego, especially after this post.

You made your opinion pretty clear the first time, this rehash only serves to show that you don’t actually save your responses for when you have something thoughtful to add.

Not everyone agrees with you, and it’s not because you weren’t clear the first time around.

I wouldn’t say it’s typical at all, you really don’t see a ton of the red x’s.

And a lot of people do follow up why. I know I try and make a point to explain why I disagreed, and I really try (but don’t always succeed) to only hit “disagree” with things that are factually incorrect.

You can see who disagreed with a post too, it’s not anonymous. I’ve tagged people before to see if they’d post why. Sometimes they don’t, but hey, that’s life.
Have you been to N&P lately, they have an emergency room doctor on stand by for those that are triggered, then resort to Red X as backlash.

Out in the open forum it's not bad. But N&P they get unhinged throwing the disagree X.

I can honestly say I have never handed out a Red X to anyone.

I usually see the Xer's name and surf right past them onto the next person's post, because I know the next person has something a lot more interesting to say.

Thank You for posting.

☆☆☆☆☆

Have you been to N&P lately, they have an emergency room doctor on stand by for those that are triggered, then resort to Red X as backlash.

Out in the open forum it's not bad. But N&P they get unhinged throwing the disagree X.

I can honestly say I have never handed out a Red X to anyone.

I usually see the Xer's name and surf right past them onto the next person's post, because I know the next person has something a lot more interesting to say.

Thank You for posting.

☆☆☆☆☆

Nah, I don’t go in N&P. Nothing in there worth spending my time on.

How about an “A” button for apathetic / pointless / beyond all reasonable use discussion? I think it would be heavily used?

Like it or not, we live in a "like and subscribe" society. This site isn't any different than other social media outlets out there. I definitely understand the OP's point and agree to some extent. Although I also think that no matter how many buttons there are, there will always be folks willing to provide written commentary as well. That's what most of us are here for.

I always find it amusing when folks argue about receiving the dreaded red X. I just picture middle aged gearheads bickering over a freakin' red X on a Mopar website like a couple of teenagers. I mean come on, get a real problem.

Thanks everyone for posting on this.

Everyone has good valid points.

The humor between posts, building up, going off on tangents, then coming back to normal conversation.

All had me laughing. chuckling, and one point laughing so hard almost in tears. Guy comes in with popcorn, stays a while looking for more....

Just plain funny stuff, and the mix of everyone's opinions.

Feels good to laugh.

Thanks Much.....

☆☆☆☆☆

Totally disagree!

I think it’s a great way to reinforce another members post without having to add another post to the thread yourself.

I mean sure, if there’s more to add on the topic then you can quote or reply, but if you don’t have anything to add but like/agree with another members post I don’t see any reason why clicking “like” is a problem.

It helps show other people reading the post that the first members post is supported by other members. Same with the “disagree” box, if somebody posts something that isn’t right and collects a few “disagree’s” then someone looking at that thread in the future knows they may need to take that post with a grain of salt.

I think the “disagree” button should be used sparingly since it does tend to trigger folks, but that’s the way it goes. It’s like reading a review of an item online, there will be positive and negative reviews and you have to sort for yourself which ones are most accurate.
i'm of the same mind. i can like or agree with something without having to add further commentary because it's already been covered. or somebody can post a pic of something i like and i don't have to post up anything, just hit the button.

in that same vein, if i'm actively searching for specific information and i see that members like or agree with an answer it's very helpful-- even more so if it happens to be people that i know and respect for their knowledge and technical expertise.

on the other hand, i think you should only get to use the "disagree" if you provide a response. and it should have a character limit, so you can't just hit the x and post up "no" or a gif. also, people love to get triggered by them x's

I left a thanks but will say it here. Well said Greg.

While I also will say I’ll leave a thumbs up if I like it, etc….
To me, it’s just a quick way to express something.
I would t get bent up on it.

1: I don’t see it as a vote!

2: I don’t see it as a contest.

3: A FWIW, I’ve had a couple of me where say they have more like or what ever than I do and I just can not stop myself from laughing at them because….

1: I’m not here to be liked so everyone can kiss my ***…. Or not…. I just like to help and talk about cars, specifically MoPars.

2: I’m here to help if I can and perhaps get help. So to that and, like the famous TV line went…. Just the facts please…..

3: I have zero need for any attention or validation, like a wayward women.

I do appreciate everyone here & when they appreciate me and say as such. That’s just good manners & a little proof you were brought up right IMO.

I also like to show what I’m doing because I’m happy about doing the things I do and sharing it with others. Even better when someone is interested in it for whatever reason. I’ll be glad to talk about it.

Thanks everyone for posting on this.

Everyone has good valid points.

The humor between posts, building up, going off on tangents, then coming back to normal conversation.

All had me laughing. chuckling, and one point laughing so hard almost in tears. Guy comes in with popcorn, stays a while looking for more....

Just plain funny stuff, and the mix of everyone's opinions.

Feels good to laugh.

Thanks Much.....

☆☆☆☆☆
I think This Thread will get more "Likes" than any previous threads... oh, the irony!

Well, that is the stupidest thing I've seen happen on this forum yet.......and there is no dreaded red X so you won't hurt my one emotion. Oh my........

Back to the original topic of the "Like" button. I personally read many posts that are informative and I use in my hobby. I don't need to say any words to show that I appreciate the words somebody has decided to take time out of their day to share with myself and the world. A simple click on the like and thanks button show that very well. If you feel you need a pat on the back because you benefited the forum, that's it.
You don't need me saying, "You are so smart, blah, blah, blah. Thank you so much for sharing that."
Discussion is discussion, that has nothing to do with thanks and like. Appreciation is just that.

we don't really need the red X, if you don't agree with a post, skip over it and just don't read it.

Well, I disagree.

It's not about agreeing with a post. As the OP pointed out, this is a technical forum. People post incorrect information all the time, and there should be a way to flag that. Because people come here to get questions answered, and just skipping over a post because it contains bad information isn't helpful.

I couldn't care less if it hurts somebody's feelings, if they post bad information we shouldn't just all skip over it. Someone that doesn't know better may think it's good information, and screw up their car in the process.

-
Back