Gettin' Personal

-
Best wishes to you Steve, get well soon!

Thanks for sharing this with everyone, I get checked every 5 years, Prayers from me on the hill.

Thanks guys, you are the best!

I just got home. Surgery went well.
I'm in a little bit of pain, but its bearable.
Never had a catheter before, boy this is not fun!
That will come out next Thursday where my Doc will let me know about the pathology and if I need any further treatments. I'm spota be up and walking around so's I don't get blood clots.

I'm sure I'll be back to my old self in a few weeks while dealing with other little hurdles such as incontinence and possible ED (this will get better over time). But hey, the most important thing is to get the cancer out, right? It's not the end of the world.

Stay Tuned...

Great news! Yes those catheters are a pain - kind of amazing they can fit that large of a tube up there isn't it? I am sure you will have a good report on your biopsy and your next step will be regular visits to your urologist to be "violated"!! Will continue to pray for a full recovery for you.

Glad everything went well! I will continue to pray for your recovery. Listen to your doctors and get moving!

Thanks for the info Steve and prayers sent for a speedy recovery. I have a physical scheduled for the end of the week. tmm

Hey Guys,
Thanks for your prayers! Tuesday I started feeling run down and a little warm. As the night got closer, a full blown fever set in. So I called the Doc and he called in an antibiotic for me. My awesome wife went out and picked it up for me and I started taking them right away. By early Thursday morning, my fever broke and my t-shirt was soaked with sweat.

Today I went back to see the Doctor where he gave me the pathology of the removed prostate. His report showed that the cancer was contained in the prostate and the threat level had increased. He said that surgery was the best decision that I could have made. Man what a relief! I thanked him for saving my life and he humbly left the room. He reappeared minutes later and tossed me a box of the magic pills. He said start taking them right away and that I am able to begin trying to bet busy.

Next, in came his nurse. She says I here to remove your catheter. She has me strip down and stand on a pad. She deflates it (it was filled with water-who knew?) and says take a deep breath. A few seconds later it was out! WOW! They told me to continue to do my contracting exercises and drink plenty of water.

This is a really weird feeling not having total control of my bladder. It will get better over time. I plan to stop all fluids by 7 tonite -just in case. So I don't wet the bed!

Stay Tuned...

sounds like great news. you are a braver man than I am for sure!!

yes you are correct about getting the darn physical. I skipped last year for what ever reason I don't recall now, but I am scheduled for this years coming up soon. at my age of 67, I know it should be a yearly thing, and like you said, younger men need to keep current for sure too.

Wow man sorry to here that, it really hit home with me, because I'm the same age as you, and my father inlaw has stage 3 Prostate cancer right now. 45 is way too you for that kind of **** man! At stage 1 it is almost 100% curable, I wish you the best of luck man, and thank's for sharing that with us, I guess were not so young and bulletproof as we used to be. Prayers sent to ya !!

Cannabis, Steve. You've got time to read all the way to the end of the internet so there's a search term for ya.

Well, it's been a week since I had the catheter removed and I think that I have gained control of the incontinence issue. It seemed like I was going every 10 mins -I guess I was worried I would wet myself. I talked to a buddy at church who has gone thru this before and he said it can be frustrating and to continue to drink lots of water and try to hold it as long as I could and sort of save it up and go once an hour instead. This was the best advice. As for the evening hours, I cut off all fluids after dinner. Sleeping has been challenging. I'm staying dry but I'm up every two hours. Last night there was a breakthru. I only got up once. Onward and Upward!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers.
They are working! :thumbup:

Glad you are doing well.Thank you to all who shared their story.Not cancer related but I hate having to get up once or twice a night to pee.I should quit drinking fluids earlier in the evening but I enjoy a couple of cold diet mountain dews while surfing the internet or watching tv.Depends may be on my horizon.I am not too proud lol.

A quick update...
Back in my boxers during the day, tighty whities with a pad at night.
I'm sleeping thru the night most nights. No liquids after 7pm.
and the hydraulics is almost back to normal!
Maybe in another month, this will all be a distant memory.

If you haven't already done so, GET YOUR PSA CHECKED!
Stay Tuned...

I went through the radiation Iodine-125 seed implants surgery for the prostate "issue" that i went through, this past December.
Mine was confined to the prostate, and i opted for the implants, and a couple of the Oncologests concured with that option.
Guess it all worked ok, as my last psa number was at 2.1.
My high was 7.1 before the surgery and biopsy taken.

I'm surprised that you aren't on the catheter, your a lucky one, as lots of guys don't regain control of the "p" problem after the removal, as you are well aware of.

Now check up's every 6 months, for the rest of my life, not knowing how much life one has got left, on top of planet Earth.

sounds like great news. you are a braver man than I am for sure!!

yes you are correct about getting the darn physical. I skipped last year for what ever reason I don't recall now, but I am scheduled for this years coming up soon. at my age of 67, I know it should be a yearly thing, and like you said, younger men need to keep current for sure too.

glad all with you is going well.

m last physical checkup was 1 1/2 yrs ago, just got my test results back, PSA was a little over the mark. so I get to see the urologist next thur! LOL

I am 67, not 45 like you, so ay my age, shi- happens!??

I appreciate you sharing this with us, and as to the biopsy, it does help me having your info if that is in the cards.

If you gotta go in for a biopsy, after talking to the doc's, it's a thing that you just gotta sike yourself into have done to you.
Not a pleasant experience having something like that done to you, but it's gotta be done.
Like the op wrote, it is a humilating human experience to go through, but if it saves lives, the battle is won.
The way doctors hafta go inside the human body, isn't like Data, on Star Trek, with just opening a panel on an Android, in the movies and TV.

Hemi,
I had a catheter for a week after the surgery. The doc went over the pathology with me before he removed it.
What a relief it was to get that thing out! And as for the biopsies I had prior to surgery, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

Barbee,
Hopefully in your case its just an enlarged prostate -no cancer. They could probably give you some pills to shrink it.

When I found out about my condition, I didn't know why I ended up with it, so I thought I'd get my story out there and maybe it could help someone else.

Hope all is good Steve. My Dad had prostate cancer. Luckily survived it.. I have to get the test in next couple of years (I am 39) Hope you are getting better and better every day. Darren

men have to deal with possibilities of prostate cancer, and related troubles down there..... women have to deal with possibilities of breast cancer.

bottom line is we are not supermen...BUT we get busy with work, life, everything. and its easy to not keep current on physicals. and a guy does not want till he is 50 to start taking care of himself!!!!!

Well...I had to in for a PSA recheck today, and it has gone up a little more. My urologist wants to do a biopsy, and I'm REALLY dreading it! I'll be 58 in a few weeks. :banghead:

Well...I had to in for a PSA recheck today, and it has gone up a little more. My urologist wants to do a biopsy, and I'm REALLY dreading it! I'll be 58 in a few weeks. :banghead:

well my update. I had the biopsy last fri, will get results this fri.

I will not say the biopsy was not fun! but for me, It wasn't really that bad, to me. they gave me ( I forget the name), something to deaden the area. only once did I really flinch. they took 12 samples. I did tell the doc if he hurt me, I might fart on HIM!! it is just something we have to have done to out bodies, if necessary.
and I offered any older fellow on the elevator, $50 if he would tell the nurse he was me. he declined.
this is not a subject any of us guys like talking or thinking about, but if it reminds anyone to get their checkup, then that's great. it is a must!

I just said a little prayer for you Barbee, and hopefully you will get encouraging results. I scheduled my biopsy today, and it's on the 28th. I'm ok with a few minutes of pain, but I guess it's that waiting for the results that I truly dread.

I just said a little prayer for you Barbee, and hopefully you will get encouraging results. I scheduled my biopsy today, and it's on the 28th. I'm ok with a few minutes of pain, but I guess it's that waiting for the results that I truly dread.

thanks for the prayer. I say some for myself too!

the biopsy thing. knowing what to expect helps, but really, I guess when they did a local " deadening", numbing, ( lidocane was the name of the drug???), whatever you call it, that had to helped a bunch. I could actually feel a small " flick" when he hit the biopsy button, but not any real pain. ( pain is getting head on by an 80 mph drunk!)..... bucked of a colt and then he steps on you?, or when the X slugged me side of the head? etc etc.... O K so she couldn't hit that hard!

-
Back