getting camshaft duration numbers on an out of engine cam

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
saw a posting that mentioned using a V block set up to measure duration @.050 and @.002 on a cam shaft out of an engine.
I know how to use a degree wheel to set the cam timing on an installed cam.

to save me from having to re invent this, can some one post a description and photos of their set up for checking a cam on a bench.
Do you attach a degree wheel to the front of the cam?

saw a posting that mentioned using a V block set up to measure duration @.050 and @.002 on a cam shaft out of an engine.
I know how to use a degree wheel to set the cam timing on an installed cam.

to save me from having to re invent this, can some one post a description and photos of their set up for checking a cam on a bench.
Do you attach a degree wheel to the front of the cam?

Ill have to take a pic later but yes, i have a set of heavy steel v blocks, degree wheel on the cam, a dial mic on a mag base, and a pointer on a magnet. That's all, way easier than degreeing the cam in the motor.

Ill have to take a pic later but yes, i have a set of heavy steel v blocks, degree wheel on the cam, a dial mic on a mag base, and a pointer on a magnet. That's all, way easier than degreeing the cam in the motor.
Yes I saw your comment about V blocks in a post you made recently, I did not want to clog up your post by inquiring there,, so yes photos would be appreciated. Thanks

attach a degree wheel to one end of the cam, set the dial indicator up and start writing numbers down. Probably help to setup an excel spreadsheet.

attach a degree wheel to one end of the cam, set the dial indicator up and start writing numbers down. Probably help to setup an excel spreadsheet.

I don’t know if you posted the video that you intended to, but that one addresses measuring lob lift, my question was on measuring duration .

I don’t know if you posted the video that you intended to, but that one addresses measuring lob lift, my question was on measuring duration .
That video was convenient, maybe not the most descriptive. You have to use the degree wheel in conjunction with the indicator to map out the lobe profiles. Then you can figure out what the duration is at a given lift for each lobe. There are other videos and pictorial descriptions how to achieve that out there, if you do a little googling.

-
Back