Getting fed up...

-

Professor Fate

Push the button, Max...
Reaction score
And I know I'm not the only one.
This is a parts rant. Replacement parts have become such a hit-and-miss proposition, it seems like it's at less than 50/50 odds anymore. Every time I order parts (and it doesn't matter where the source is, O'Reiley, Napa, Rock- they all sell the same crap now) it seems like half of them go back. Just in the past weeks I've dealt with defective or incorrect master cylinders, fuel pumps, voltage regulators, fuel filters, tires; and timing chains that have more slop in them than the one I'm replacing... seems like half of my "car time" is spent returning or repairing/rebuilding "new" parts, and that's not an exaggeration. And the source doesn't matter anymore, either- what used to be the "quality/go-to" brands are just as bad as everyone else. And it's not just offshore junk, a lot is made domestically too. This is getting to be frustrating as H*ll, and I'm actually beginning to think it would be a better investment of my time and money to just sell it all and take up stamp collecting. Well, that ain't gonna happen- but the thought has occurred to me more than once. But this has definitely taken most of the fun and enjoyment out of the hobby for me. It's becoming a chore that I don't look forward to anymore. I've quit doing side jobs and repairs for anyone else, since I can't guarantee any kind of quality or satisfaction, and I ain't going to put my name on the line for things that are out of my control.
Rant over for now.

What he said, - but I have border issues sending chit back, so generally I just swallow it .
And I know I'm not the only one.
This is a parts rant. Replacement parts have become such a hit-and-miss proposition, it seems like it's at less than 50/50 odds anymore. Every time I order parts (and it doesn't matter where the source is, O'Reiley, Napa, Rock- they all sell the same crap now) it seems like half of them go back. Just in the past weeks I've dealt with defective or incorrect master cylinders, fuel pumps, voltage regulators, fuel filters, tires; and timing chains that have more slop in them than the one I'm replacing... seems like half of my "car time" is spent returning or repairing/rebuilding "new" parts, and that's not an exaggeration. And the source doesn't matter anymore, either- what used to be the "quality/go-to" brands are just as bad as everyone else. And it's not just offshore junk, a lot is made domestically too. This is getting to be frustrating as H*ll, and I'm actually beginning to think it would be a better investment of my time and money to just sell it all and take up stamp collecting. Well, that ain't gonna happen- but the thought has occurred to me more than once. But this has definitely taken most of the fun and enjoyment out of the hobby for me. It's becoming a chore that I don't look forward to anymore. I've quit doing side jobs and repairs for anyone else, since I can't guarantee any kind of quality or satisfaction, and I ain't going to put my name on the line for things that are out of my control.
Rant over for now.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I have seriously considered selling all my cars over a period of the last 6 months or so. It even came to the point of trying to narrow down which one to keep. I want to keep my 65 and Karrin wants to keep the 67 Coronet R/T and we both want to finish the 67 Barracuda convertible. None of them are perfect but 2 pretty nice and we have pretty much everything to do the convertible. I think we are getting close to agreeing we are going to pass some of the other cars along. It was simple when we could drive to the yards and unbolt parts ourselves for cheap. I work on equipment every day and it's not just the cars!

As much as I want to chime in here !

I'm keeping my mouth shut !

(That gif thing was annoying )

Last edited:
Electrical parts have been a nightmare. Starters, relays, toggle switches and the list goes on. After being burned way too many times I skip Rock Auto and go local or Summit. Summit used to swap out defective parts. Last order they had me return the damaged parts (poor packing job) and re-order. I'm not a fan of that system.

Not only the quality has suffered. Returning or exchanging parts is a time consuming errand.

UH OH. What about this seat I have here for ys ? :poke:

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I have seriously considered selling all my cars over a period of the last 6 months or so. It even came to the point of trying to narrow down which one to keep. I want to keep my 65 and Karrin wants to keep the 67 Coronet R/T and we both want to finish the 67 Barracuda convertible. None of them are perfect but 2 pretty nice and we have pretty much everything to do the convertible. I think we are getting close to agreeing we are going to pass some of the other cars along. It was simple when we could drive to the yards and unbolt parts ourselves for cheap. I work on equipment every day and it's not just the cars!

Right there with you... I completely rewired my GFs 79 VW bus cause it was a electrical hack job. Got it running again and decided to replace other electric switches just to feel better about everything being new.. ****, worst mistake.... I got so sick of diagnosis of all the electrical components that I loaded it up and sent it to a older VW repair shop for them to pull their hair out.
I also work as a service writer at an automotive shop. DAILY I'm dealing with crap parts from all vendors. Best ones yet are suspension parts that are new but manufactured NOT to spec... we pulled out hair out wondering why it wouldn't come into spec for alignment.. damn control arm was too short . Sucks but what do we do?

UH OH. What about this seat I have here for ys ? :poke:
STOP IT...We have already cleaned the spare bedroom and given the pointer muzzle training. You aren't getting out of this one AL. LOL Karrin was on vacation last week and even cleaned the barn for your parts picking. Am I the little yellow guy with the stick or the blue guy? LOL

Last edited:
I prefer Goldfish over stamps.
Me too- they taste better.
1725909694070.png

:lol:

Today I decided to rebuild a factory master cylinder instead of continuing to play the parts roulette game with a replacement (already lost once), and guess what? The kit was missing parts. (BTW, Napa is the only place around here that can even get a kit anymore...) This crap never ends.
A set of (Wagner) wheel cylinders, one was missing a cup... just so far today.
Time to shut it down and go for a walk with the dogs and let 'em chase some bunnies. At least they'll have a good day.

I agree. I can go on for hours about this... I have no idea why people oggle over the greatness of Rock****, almost every part I'd ordered from them was complete garbage. I'll be the first to admit that I'm dumb, but the old saying of "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result", made me stop using them anymore. Also, Autozone and Advance Auto parts have become complete ripoffs. I avoid them like the plague, but sometimes I have no choice but to go there and get reamed. They also sell car batteries for twice of what Walmart costs. There's nothing more frustrating than being under a car, elbow deep in grease and oil, and finding that the new part doesn't fit..... But what I've been doing to try to remedy this problem is buying the parts online from generic sellers (new ebay items, make/model specific companies, smaller specialized companies, online dealerships, etc.), but also checking and double checking that they have a certain reputable name brand PRINTED on them. Alot of online sellers pull the bait and switch, and show a photo of a real part and then send you a generic equivalent... So I usually email them three times beforehand to open the box and check the label on the part before it ever leaves their warehouse.. So far it's been working pretty good...

I kind of feel guilty saying this, but I have had pretty good luck with my local O'Reilly's. The staff is pretty awesome, and the number of parts that have been defective have been pretty small. I do agree with @tom999w about Autozone. I had a REALLY bad experience with them about ten years ago that caused me to suggest one possible thing they could do with the part and walk out the store. I am NOT usually that person, but the idiocy of the person that was helping me and the complete lack of knowledge of the shift manager (plus their ATTITUDE when I told them that they were wrong) really got to me. I will NEVER go into an Autozone again. The nearest Advance Auto is Clear on the other side of town, and I haven't been there in years. So I cannot speak to how they are now. I used to go there a lot, because the store manager was a good friend, he was VERY car smart, and he set me up for a dealer discount in his computer. When he left, that store went downhill.

Don't get me wrong, most of the stores around here have at least a couple of knowledgeable people and try to be accommodating- especially to some of my more bizarre requests. But the quality/accuracy of some of the parts they get even baffle them sometimes. When I pick up parts now I always try to take the old one with me, and a pair of dial calipers. If it ain't right, it don't leave the store.
Electricals are the big pain, since many places will not (officially) accept returns on electrical parts. One time with a voltage regulator, I told them if they didn't take it back, I had the rest of my (rather large) order in the back of the truck and I would return ALL OF IT. The manager looked at me and grabbed it off the counter and threw it in the trash and credited my account.

About the only thing I buy from the Zone is oil & a filter. If you have to ask the brain dead person behind the counter Give it up. Years ago , standing about 3rd in line with an arm full of crap, I finally get the the front and the guy answers the phone and ignores me. I just look at him and drop the **** right in the floor and head for the door . Then he wants to talk and as I walking out I just flip him the double bird O'Reilly's is a way better headache

I've said for years now, this is how they are gonna kill the hobby. Bleed parts availability dry and it's happening. We can barely get wheels for the 5 x 4 bolt pattern now.

Here's a recent one-
1725929821530.png

Factory master cylinder on the left, new Cardone replacement (same one everybody rebrands and sells) on the right for '73 and up A body power front disc brakes (15/16" bore).
What's wrong with this picture? This goes in the category of "Fits. Might work (it doesn't). Ain't right".
Looks like a Ford master, but with the Mopar four-bolt mount.
How do I know it's the same that everyone else sells? Because what are the chances EVERYBODY (Raybestos, Napa, Centric, et al) would redesign the same master cylinder in the same way at the same time? I know, it's the internals that matter. But are the internals the same as original? Do the rebuild kits apply to the factory master or the aftermarket master? I guess I'll find out, Because I've got another Napa rebuild kit ordered, since the "new" master (after being properly bench bled) puts out almost zero pressure- I can hold the ports closed with my fingers while pushing the piston. At 64 YO I can still piss with more force than that.
I'll give you three guesses which one gets rebuilt and which one goes on the scrap pile.

Here's a recent one-
View attachment 1716301312
Factory master cylinder on the left, new Cardone replacement (same one everybody rebrands and sells) on the right for '73 and up A body power front disc brakes (15/16" bore).
What's wrong with this picture? This goes in the category of "Fits. Might work (it doesn't). Ain't right".
Looks like a Ford master, but with the Mopar four-bolt mount.
How do I know it's the same that everyone else sells? Because what are the chances EVERYBODY (Raybestos, Napa, Centric, et al) would redesign the same master cylinder in the same way at the same time? I know, it's the internals that matter. But are the internals the same as original? Do the rebuild kits apply to the factory master or the aftermarket master? I guess I'll find out, Because I've got another Napa rebuild kit ordered, since the "new" master (after being properly bench bled) puts out almost zero pressure- I can hold the ports closed with my fingers while pushing the piston. At 64 YO I can still piss with more force than that.
I'll give you three guesses which one gets rebuilt and which one goes on the scrap pile.
Cardone is crap. Used to deal with Cardone rebuilt junk for 25 years

I would rather rebuild a factory original myself than deal with ANY parts store unit now. I don't care what brand it is.

But... it wasn't a rebuild; it's a "new" unit that everybody seems to source from the same manufacturer, and yes, it's a crapshoot.
If I was forced to, I think I'd trust a rebuild more than a "new" (and incorrect) one- at least a rebuild is based on a factory casting. I don't know what's inside of a new one. But I'm gonna find out!

But... it wasn't a rebuild; it's a "new" unit that everybody seems to source from the same manufacturer, and yes, it's a crapshoot.
If I was forced to, I think I'd trust a rebuild more than a "new" (and incorrect) one- at least a rebuild is based on a factory casting. I don't know what's inside of a new one. But I'm gonna find out!
Amazingly, Autozone of all places used to sell American made and remanned starters, alternators, distributors, water pumps and other parts from a plant they had in Texas years ago. Of course, like other companies lookin to save a buck, now they outsource. It was a shame too, because it used to be quality stuff.

I've said for years now, this is how they are gonna kill the hobby. Bleed parts availability dry and it's happening. We can barely get wheels for the 5 x 4 bolt pattern now.
The government has been wanting to scrap all our cars for years now. If they can get them all not running due to no parts, they will win.

The government has been wanting to scrap all our cars for years now. If they can get them all not running due to no parts, they will win.
They tried and succeeded a lot with cash for clunkers. Remember that? I remember Hot Rod magazine did a story about a first generation Camaro they tried to save at one yard. It was a running, driving car. Since the car had already been sold to the yard, by law there was nothing anyone could do and it was crushed. I remember all the youtube videos of cars that ran and drove the yards were putting that concoction in the engines so they'd blow. These were running and driving cars that could have been donated to less fortunate people. Yeah, the government really looks out for the little guy alright.

-
Back