Getting Ready for 741 Sure Grip Rebuild. Quick ?

-

FJRdoc

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for my first differential rebuild on my brother's 67 fish. I bought parts from Doctor Diff. Everything is stripped down and I have my pinion set-up bearing.
When I tore everything down I noticed that there was only one carrier adjuster locking tab on the left side. I thought that there would also be a locking tab on the right side. If so, where can I locate another?

I'm getting ready for my first differential rebuild on my brother's 67 fish. I bought parts from Doctor Diff. Everything is stripped down and I have my pinion set-up bearing.
When I tore everything down I noticed that there was only one carrier adjuster locking tab on the left side. I thought that there would also be a locking tab on the right side. If so, where can I locate another?
Should have one on each cap as seen in picture
0FDCD2FA-FD77-4759-9750-DAEB1B1B0D17.jpeg

Nope one side only Passenger side if I remember corrector.

No sir. He said carrier adjusting tab, not axle. There should be a locking tab on both sides of the carrier as in the picture above ^^^^^^ in post #3.

No sir. He said carrier adjusting tab, not axle. There should be a locking tab on both sides of the carrier as in the picture above ^^^^^^ in post #3.
Damn- that’s the second post today I was skooled on. I need to slow down and read me more book lern-en. Lol!

If so, where can I locate another?
Short of someone helping you locate one, or buying and paying shipping I’d grab a grade 8 bolt and lock washer, and just duplicate the one you have: slap a piece of steel in a vice, beat it into shape, drill hole and notch the end into prongs and done

And, that's the easy part. Setting up backlash and pre-loads will be the main challenge. Good luck.

I thought that there should be one on the other side as well. I'll fabricate one and go with that. I've never rebuilt a differential. I might as well give it a try and take it off my bucket list.

I thought that there should be one on the other side as well. I'll fabricate one and go with that. I've never rebuilt a differential. I might as well give it a try and take it off my bucket list.

You do understand the previous posts that pointed out the differences between (the differential bearing adjusting rings) pair of locking tabs, and, the single (right-side) axle end-play locking tab?
Okay, then when setting up ring, pinion and bearing pre-loads, it is absolute must to have a magnetic base dial-gauge and, some sort of coloured grease to coat selection of ring gear teeth. There is a world of info out there that provides tips and torque values. :thumbsup:

HWD2 I understand all about the axle end play locking tab. I did the complete restoration of my 1970 Duster 340 with the exception of the bodywork and automatic tranny rebuild. I elected not to dig into my third member on the car but I did redo the axle seals and bearings as well as the pinion seal.
We didn't know the history of this 741 which is the reason I decided to tear it down. I've been reading the factory service manual and trying to dig up anything on the internet that can give more insight on this project. I have a dial indicator,adjuster spanner and the yellow gear marking grease.
It's time for me to roll up my sleeves and get down to business. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

I'm making slow progress on the 8 3/4. I rebuilt the SureGrip unit with parts from Doctor Diff. I don't have a bearing splitter so I had the local machine shop take the carrier bearings and pinion bearing off for me. I have a shop press and I was able to put the new carrier bearings in place. I fabricated a locking tab and honed out the original pinion bearing to slip on and off.
I need to put a finishing coat of paint on the housing and install a drain plug. I'll probably start assembling the differential after I get back from vacation this week. I've read the service manual several times and watched what few videos that are available online.
The original pinion and ring gear are in great shape. I suspect that pinion depth and preload should be fie with the original shims. I will be checking all tolerances just the same.

I need to put a finishing coat of paint on the housing and install a drain plug.

Just an FYI, you probably already know this, but be sure to offset the drain plug away from the ring gear if you are tapping and plugging that way.

-
Back