getting ready to prep car for paint and bodywork questions

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i just got my 340 home, and now plan on doing the body work and prepping for paint.
first question..... how do i get the front and rear windsheild moldings off without bending them up?
how to get the drip rail molding off?

to make a decent driver, should i remove the engine in order to paint in the engine compartment?????????????????

i will be asking a ton more questions as i go. so please bear with me.lol

go to a paint and body supply store for the windshield trim removal tool (Prolly about 10 whole dollar's) the trick with that is to get the tool under where the clip holds the trim and gently use the tool and the trim will come off with no problems. Now the drip rail trim is a beast of a diffrent color,you must be ever so gentle removing it so it doesnt warp as you remove it.....This is gonna sound funny but I use a hammer to remove those without damaging them because prying them in any way shape or form WILL damage them. I start with the front a pillar pieces and then with my fingers get the long ones started at that front corned the use a baby ball peen hammer on the flat side to gently tap from the bottom edge a lil' bit a time working the molding off. It is tricky but the best technique I have found so far....yes patience is needed....good luck and wait for other techniques to be posted,this one works well for me but others may have a better way....good luck!!!! :cheers:

so do i put the tool in between the moulding and the rubber seal side or the trim and the body side?

you should have bought one at the zone. glad you mmade it home safely. was great to meet face to face. you got a good car and a solid base to work with. keep me posted with pic's as you go along. be cool dude. steve

wow,this is hard to describe, maybe you should let a body man show you cause it is hard to explain.....I'm not that good with word's

Heres a pic of tool slide along between the rubber and moulding until you
hit the clip then pry gently till it unlocks.unclip one at a time don't pull
up to hard they bend easy.
Hope this helps!!

0307102311-00.jpg

-
Back