Getting started to work on my 1974 Dart Sport. I got questions

-

BornNaked

Hemi of the small blocks
Reaction score
Hello Fellas.

Long time lurker. Long time owner of a 1974 Dart Sport (Pictured below)

1726767182477.png

Alittle about me. I grew up with my father who forged me into a Mopar or Nocar guy. Father purchased this car 25 years ago and had some fun in it until I was able to buy a house with a garage where it sat for over a decade. I work as an IT guy. Im new to working on mechanicle bits on a vehicle but not unfamiliar with mechanicle bits. Most importanty, not afraid of working on mechanicle bits.

Known problems:
No brakes (probably a leak, that's first on my list)
Engine idles bad and it leaks oil. Sluggish when revving. (It was raced before my dad had it. My dad did not change anything on it while he owned it)
Automatic transmission some times doesn't engage park and it shifts hard. (Shift kit for racing?)
Interior is smelly and it looks like mildew or mold on some places
Front bucket seats done match. I think the Driver was replaced with something very simular
Speedometer doesn't work.
Dad replaced the one exhaust pipe with pipe welded to together - would like to replace
Rear end squats to low. (Suspension is tired?)
Geared too low. RPMs too high at 60mph
Cosmetic issues but that will be in time

I don't have many people (or if any) to ask for ideas or recommendations. I have questions.

After the breaks are functional, I plan on pulling the motor to send it out for someone to go through it. I'm hoping to have it out this winter. I always wanted a 4 speed car. I looked up what I would need for parts and how to go about the process. My question is for those who have done 4 speed conversions. Am I over my head? Should I have the Automatic gone through and just be happy I have a cool car?

Im about dig into it. Any tips? Tricks? Recommendations?

What is your overall goal and intended use for the car with budget? This is the time to be very realistic and honest with yourself. The wrong direction could cost you extra money you didn't intend to spend, enjoyment, marriage, cause a drinking problem, etc.

You said the car has sat for a decade? First thing I do is pull the gas tank, IF it had any gas, dump that, pull the pickup and use light etc to see inside tank's condition.
Clean the car inside and out.
Make list of all the mechanicals that probably need to be addressed for a safe ride.\
Go from there.

What you can achieve depends on your desires, money, and skill level. It is usually obtainable for any one that desires it all.

Exactly what dano said. It's really easy to go down the rabbit hole with a project like this.
A whole lot more information about what you want to do with it and how original it currently is, and do you want to keep that originality if it still exists, or do you plan a no expense spared full on pro touring ride?
It's very easy for us to spend your money, but at the end of the day it's your money, your car, and your vision that are most important. Tell us more.

Looks like a good solid start.
I would get it running and moving safely under its own power before randomly tearing it apart.

If you do not have a 74 service manual, send me a PM ("conversation") I have on digital I can copy, but you will need to mail me a thumb drive and return mailer.

If that's a factory 74 Dart Sport 360, keep it close to original as you can, they are pretty rare cars & yours looks like it's in pretty good shape. If it was raced at one time, they didn't mess with it too much from what I can see by the engine bay pics. What barbee6043 said would be the way to go. First off, drop the fuel tank, clean it, flush out the fuel lines & clean the carb. Change the oil & filter, change trans fluid & filter (Keep it automatic if that's what it was from the factory) tune it up, plugs cap, rotor, ignition wires & air filter, then check the transmission linkage, it sounds like it's not adjusted correctly. Check the belts & hoses for any needed attention, check all the other fluid levels. First & most importantly, get a FACTORY service manual, you should have no problem finding one the get to work. It will be well worth the time & money spent working on it & you'll learn a lot, that's always a plus. Good luck!

Cool car! I don't have many better suggestions than what you've been getting but I do have some questions that may influence what you do with it.

* Is it a 318 or 360 car? I bought an OEM functional hood and scoop combo once off of what was surprisingly, a 318 car. If yours is a 1974 with a 360, it would be a kind of a rare car, especially with a scoop!

* Does it have disc brakes? If so, parts are easier to find than drums all around. All drums also came with a 4" bolt pattern for the wheels.

* Swapping to a 4 speed is more mechanically involved and would probably cost a lot to have somebody do it. An auto with a good shift kit & converter can be fun too. Recommending minimal changes again if it is a rare combo.

* Not engaging park could be a mis-adjusted shift linkage. (OEM or aftermarket?)

More pics & info please!

Oh wow. You guys are great!

I don't know much about the originality of the car. I'll double check with my dad to see if there is a build sheet. I don't know how to read a vin number. Is that something you fellas can help with?

I suspect it was repainted once before. Same red color. The engine in it now is a 340. I know it's not supposed to be in there, but it's the one in there. And it's a fun one! Nothing on the car was modified except an added tac and oil pressure gauge. It looks to be complete.

Car has disc breaks on the front. And drums in the back. That was going to be step one. Get brakes working. Then gas tank as suggested.

I always had grand plans with this thing and the more I have been thinking about it the last couple months, I came to a conclusion you guys said above. Which is get it road safe and drive it. So that's where I'll start. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions along the way. Ill be sure to show progress along the way!

Some one asked for pics. More pics are coming tomorrow!

OK, so it has a 340 under the hood, not original, but a definite upgrade, probably has an 8.25 rear axle in it, unless that was chucked in favor of an 8.75, another upgrade, but we don't know what trans is in it. Check your VIN number, paying attention to the 5th character, if it's a letter 'L', the car was born with a 360, if it's a letter 'G', it was born with a 318, or a letter 'C' would be a slant 6.

Put up a pic of the V.I.N. or better yet, the fender tag (Drivers side inner fender, under the hood, if you're not sure where to look) if it's still there. Someone here will tell you exactly what you have.

The rabbit hole worries are real. Me personally, I would give the auto trans a shot for now and see if you can keep the car on the road for as long as possible while you get more skilled mechanically. Once most everything else is done and you want to tackle that 4spd conversion, then go for it. Trying it right away could get you in over your head and drop your desire to work on the project down to a point where you won't want to touch it for long periods of time and when you do, it could seem like a never ending daunting process.

The 904 and 727 autos are pretty dang bullet proof for the most part. The fact that the car was raced could mean that there is extra wear and tear on it but the first things I would check would be the fluid level, the shift linkage and the kickdown linkage. No need to throw a bunch of money at it, just add fluid if it's necessary and checking the linkages costs nothing but time. Run some searches on here in the transmission forum to get more familiar with how to do it.

-
Back