Getting the '73 Valiant ready for paint

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
Started getting the valiant ready for paint. Has little rust in spots, nothing really major. Took the trim off the sides. This is just the beginning. Still have a lot of work left to do. Not looking forward to taking the vinyl top off. Any suggestions on that?

SANY1564.jpg

SANY1565.jpg

SANY1566.jpg

SANY1567.jpg

SANY1568.jpg

SANY1571.jpg

SANY1572.jpg

come on no help? i did the quarters looked great till primer dried its smooth to touch but i can still see the bondo. any advice?

Your eyes can decieve you when doing body work. Filler absorbes primer differently than the surrounding metal so its hard to tell if the area is smooth by looking at it. You have to feel the panel to tell if its straight or not, if you can feel somethings not right you will definately see it when put paint on it.
I've never had a problem pulling off a vinyl top. I would just park it out in the sun, let the vinyl get nice and warm and peel away.

Just grab what you can of the top and rip it off. It will leave an old adhesive on the roof. The best thing to remove it is a body filler spreader and gas. Obviously do it outside. I have not found anything that works as well as gas.

Just grab what you can of the top and rip it off. It will leave an old adhesive on the roof. The best thing to remove it is a body filler spreader and gas. Obviously do it outside. I have not found anything that works as well as gas.

I've had good luck with brake cleaner for removing the vinyl adhesive. Just the generic autozone stuff.

thanks all. have had no time to work on it. work has got me running 5-6 days out and 1 home if lucky. hope to take some time off soon. saw on an episode of xtreme 4x4 a paint made by duplicolor ready mixed and just pour and spray. anyone try this?

-
Back