getting the shaft?

-

player1up

Reaction score
I think I'm getting hosed.
I took my driveshaft down to have it shortened after I called and was quoted $70 to shorten 3 1/2 and balance.... so I drive 45 minutes to have them tell me that they
1st can't shorten it the desired amount without taking some off both ends.
2nd, will only balance the thing if I buy U-joints from them AND if I have the slip yoke... WTF...so they want to charge me $194 to shorten and balance with new ujoints or 100 without balance...WELL I'm NOT driving 45min home and 45 min back to give them the yoke so they can balance the F'n thing!!...to make matters worse the shop was recommended by a reliable source.. don't worry not from here :)
Damn I'm thinkin of cutting it on the chop saw and welding it myself...ok maybe not..:angry7:

i have had several driveshafts shortened. they cost me any where from 60-75 dollars. i did not have to take the slip yoke with me. they always balanced it without it. i agree they are trying to hose you. and they told me to install my own new ujoints before bringing the shaft to them. said to just tape the other caps on it.

Yup, me too, just over $100 bucks and it works and fits perfect!

Mine cost $135 w/ joints & balanced 4yrs back, now they want $180-$190 so don't get to angry stuffs just going up in price like it's going out of style..

They are covering their butts , if they balance it with new joints and YOUR slip yoke then you won't be coming back after you assemble it saying they screwed up .

As far as having to cut both ends ? does it neck down on both ends and neither end has enough for the amount you need removed ?

The first one I had reworked was 78.00 at "dealer" pricing but that was way back in 1983. Yes they needed the slip yoke and yes they installed the U joints.

They are covering their butts , if they balance it with new joints and YOUR slip yoke then you won't be coming back after you assemble it saying they screwed up .

As far as having to cut both ends ? does it neck down on both ends and neither end has enough for the amount you need removed ?

So if I replace the u-joints it will put the thing out of balance??? really???
I suppose I have had a shaft do funny things when I managed to put one of the caps a little too far in.
Yeah, both ends step down to the yokes, they cut enough to make it fit. I wanted 3 1/2 off but only manged to get like 2 7/8... that means that the slip yoke will only be 2 7/8 out of the trans. ( from but to u-joint center) if I need more I'll space the front leaf spring mounts back. My biggest issue with the whole thing is that I was quoted one price and paid a different price..I guess I didn't get totally hosed but just not the warm fuzzy I expected when I talked to the guy on the phone.
On a good note, I was able to find a slip yoke that uses the same size small u-joints from the /6/904 but has the large tube to fit the back of the 833, so no need for a problem solver joint :)

-
Back