Getting Trim Adhesive Off Paint

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
What's the best thing to get trim adhesive off of paint without ruining the paint job? My Jeep had that ugly plastic side cladding that was falling off so I just pulled it all but still have to deal with the junk left over.

2nd that on the 3M and I have also used Goo-off that worked pretty good

Goo gone works prety good, gasoline kinda harsh.

I have used kerosene to take everything off of paint, and finish it off by waxing the paint afterwards.

I use the 3m sticker removal spray, smells like oranges but requires spray and sink in for a few minutes and sometimes alot of applications and elbow grease, but I have had the best luck with kerosene, a plastic razor blade and rags.

Brake kleen, non CRC crap works good but is harsh on the paint too.

I've used WD40 on window stickers before with great results, but have never used it on painted surfaces :read2:

I've used WD40 on window stickers before with great results, but have never used it on painted surfaces :read2:
Yes WD40 works well,I used it to remove rubber from my 1/4 panel after burnouts at the track.You probably already have some kickin around your garage.Give it a try,let it soak.

In the dealer we used Acrosol it is not harmfull to paint and works the best!

Yes WD40 works well,I used it to remove rubber from my 1/4 panel after burnouts at the track.You probably already have some kickin around your garage.Give it a try,let it soak.

Kind of off topic here.....We used to squirt the lower quarters with non-stick cooking spray before racing. Wipes clean at the end of the night :-D

WD-40 has a solvent base and works great on greasy,sticky cleanups.I am pretty sure it will not harm the paint.Please do not use as a lubricant.8)

Thanks for all the great ideas! I priced out the 3M stuff at the local NAPA and they wanted over 30 bucks for a can. Yikes.

When I used to detail cars we used to use Acetone as an adhesive remover on paints and glass. Acetone and a microfiber will do it if you're worried about scratching the paint. Just make sure it's two stage paint with a clear coat and don't get it on any plastic or rubber.

When I used to detail cars we used to use Acetone as an adhesive remover on paints and glass. Acetone and a microfiber will do it if you're worried about scratching the paint. Just make sure it's two stage paint with a clear coat and don't get it on any plastic or rubber.

I wouldn't use Acetone on paint of any kind. It's a pretty active solvent and is the primary ingrediant in nail polish remover. Work quick and flush it right off you can likely get away using it on paint but there is other stuff that will work and have no danger of attacking the paint.

I wouldn't use Acetone on paint of any kind. It's a pretty active solvent and is the primary ingrediant in nail polish remover. Work quick and flush it right off you can likely get away using it on paint but there is other stuff that will work and have no danger of attacking the paint.

To each his own I guess. Like I said I used to detail for a living and I've never had a problem with it. High end detail shops and dealerships use it as well. If the paint has a clear coat then there is no danger of any kind. Just don't use it on a rattle canned piece because it'll strip the paint right off.

Using a terry cloth towel on paint is worse than acetone :angry7:

I think that is the caveat with acetone. It is hot enough to damage many finishes, so it is imperative that a test sample is done before slathering it on. It's just proper to explain to others reading these posts later on looking for info.

Grant

I'll say it again.............VMP Naptha. Also, if clearcoat is on, it SHOULD protect. If the clearcoat is crap, well nothing will help you. VMP Naptha/ lighter fluid. Naptha more so because there is not a lot of other crap in it. It's cheap, easy to get, and try it in a out of the way place to be sure.

I think that is the caveat with acetone. It is hot enough to damage many finishes, so it is imperative that a test sample is done before slathering it on. It's just proper to explain to others reading these posts later on looking for info.

Grant
I've used acetone, naptha, and lacquer thinner to remove glue from painted surfaces. The advice OneOfMany gives is good for all of these. When I've followed it, I have not had problems. Also, all of these are highly toxic and flammable. Use in a well ventilated area and recommend nitrile gloves, especially for acetone.

-
Back