Girdle

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Putting my parts list together for a sort of a " back up" engine. I fell into a really good 84 block and Eddy heads this summer and plan to put it to good use. It will be very similar to the engine I built last winter, which has been great all summer.

This one though will surely break the 600 HP mark, since i finally have heads capable. I'm thinking about installing a girdle. I know a lot of guys don't believe they work, but if you read Hughes article, it makes a lot of sense. Worse case scenario you'll still have a studded bottom end with a crank scraper.....
What are your thoughts?

I'm all for using them. Some creative milling is involved to make sure the main caps are all the same height so the girdle will sit nice and flat. We used billet caps and no shims. This really keeps stuff together for the oval dirt track.

My new mill is big block but I am running stock caps with studs and girdle. My builder thinks they are worth while and it's a small expense comparatively speaking. My rotating assembly was 4K so what's another 500 to add piece of mind if anything.

Yeah. Piece of mind is a good thing. Now have to decide I beams vs H. So much to do. Gotta love it!

Yeah they help the mains from walkin around at high power levels. Certainly worth it.

Sorry, not sold on the idea yet.

Best bet, ask the guys that build them and dyno them and service them.
There's at least one here that doesn't like them and has seen no bennifit to them since they only tie each other in but do not have any anchoring or stiffening.

What is the intended use of the engine? Is it for an alcohol mod, that may need to be started on gasoline on cold days?

Last edited:
Ironmike. The use of a girdle I feel would only be needed in a unit that you are pushing the blocks capability to the limit. In my case, the circle track stuff we make that sees 14 to 1, 7800rpm for 5 minutes and the part that hurts the worst.. how do you start the thing on a cold race day? Raw fuel down its throat! One backfire and look out. This to me is where and when a girdle could or should be used. A hot street motor shouldn't see the need to be girdled. Definitely use studs or billet caps and studs (next level of strength) and you'll have as strong of a motor as needed.

...........I'm a true believer in girdles.....my race engine has seen 7500-8000 rpm for 10 years and when torn down for an inspection everything looked like brand new.........kim.......

Well, I'm glad to hear some of you believe in them. A hot street motor that's over 600HP and gets pounded on regularly AND sees the track occasionally is, in my opinion a good candidate for the girdle.
Just have to make sure it will clear my Milodon pan....

Use a paint marker on the spots you feel that are close to touching. this will transfer over at the parts that contact and you'll know where to modify the girdle. Crank counter weights and rods also can touch.

Use a paint marker on the spots you feel that are close to touching. this will transfer over at the parts that contact and you'll know where to modify the girdle. Crank counter weights and rods also can touch.
Thanks, man. Will do.

Sorry, not sold on the idea yet.

Best bet, ask the guys that build them and dyno them and service them.
There's at least one here that doesn't like them and has seen no bennifit to them since they only tie each other in but do not have any anchoring or stiffening.
They will still transfer load from one cap to others and thus reduce the localized flexing to some degree; the caps/webs do not see the same forces at the same instant in time. The forces ALWAYS flex the block material and reducing that flex reduces the fatigue of the cast material.

Well, I'm glad to hear some of you believe in them. A hot street motor that's over 600HP and gets pounded on regularly AND sees the track occasionally is, in my opinion a good candidate for the girdle.
Just have to make sure it will clear my Milodon pan....
have you had your iron headed engine to the track yet,it is still running correct

have you had your iron headed engine to the track yet,it is still running correct
yes, once. and its still running like a beast. funny how streetable it actually is. Take a nice long ride and its like driving grandma's Buick.....until you hit the loud pedal.

...........I'm a true believer in girdles.....my race engine has seen 7500-8000 rpm for 10 years and when torn down for an inspection everything looked like brand new.........kim.......
What engine?

-
Back