Give your pickle fork a rest

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Many of you already are aware of how the pickle fork can destroy your dust boot covers and are already aware of this particular tool used to split ball joints BUT……for those that are not….. this tool is for you.

The pickle fork has its place mind you, but you find that it will reside further back in your tool chest drawer once you experience the glory of this splitter.

Those in the choir may return to your regularly scheduled program.

image.jpg

These babies work like magic, got mine at harbor freight for $20. No more bashing pickle forks like a hammer mechanic.

Word of caution, the ball joint tends to come out flying like cruise missile, so be prepared and stay out of the way. Also do not use around anything valuable that could be destroyed.

These babies work like magic, got mine at harbor freight for $20. No more bashing pickle forks like a hammer mechanic.

Word of caution, the ball joint tends to come out flying like cruise missile, so be prepared and stay out of the way. Also do not use around anything valuable that could be destroyed.
This comment is true. Was not expecting the loud bang and flying parts.

I got one out without the dramatics: Got the separator tool pretty tight, then a nice tap on the ball joint with a hammer. Came out relatively gently.

The other was gnarly.

This comment is true. Was not expecting the loud bang and flying parts.

I got one out without the dramatics: Got the separator tool pretty tight, then a nice tap on the ball joint with a hammer. Came out relatively gently.

The other was gnarly.
Yes, the tool could seriously hurt you if you are not careful and prepared. But that’s not a good reason to not use one.

A pickle fork is so cave man and smacking your hands with the hammer sucks as well.

I sprung for the OTC flavor of this a few years back.. It's a game changer. I'll still break out the fork and 5lb sledge for stubborn ones, but after taking dozens apart that way I don't miss it.

The only time I use a pickle fork is for changing old wore out ones, that I don't give a crap about.
I have a pickle fork, that attaches to my pneumatic air chisel, makes quick work of them.

-
Back