glass pack and and muscle car sound

Mopar Exhaust Systems

1. AdamR

AdamR Big Member

Local Time:
    4:20 PM
    the thrush welded mufflers are 2 chamber Flowmaster copies for less than half the price.

2. mcnoople

mcnoople Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:20 PM
    Just add a 3/4 race cam and straight pipes:eek:ops:

3. jameskernz

jameskernz duster Man

Local Time:
    I also have Thrush Welded, 2 1/2 in, 2 1/2 out. They sound Great and good price also.
    Jim

4. morepowertoya

morepowertoya morepowertoya

Local Time:
    moroso spiral flow mufflers are very sweet sounding

5. K.O. SWINGER

K.O. SWINGER Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    correct and well put , I also have ran trush turbos and for the money a good sound and longevity...now I run flow 40s not for the shy (what did you say ) lol but great performers

• Like Like x 1
    • 1973dusterkid

1973dusterkid Watch This

Local Time:
      Ok summit turbos vs Thrush welded

I want lound but a deep mean sound.

• inkjunkie

inkjunkie Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      1:20 PM
      Town I grew up in damn near everyone had glass packs......few of us called all of those folks garbage barges.....

• rigrunner

rigrunner rigrunner

Local Time:
      ive got cherry bomb xtremes on my 318 with manifolds into 2.5 inch dual pipes exiting out the rear. loud as hell and very deep. very mellow when cruising at highway speed. i lovem and only paid 75 each installed.

• Rice Nuker

Rice Nuker Let the Coal Roll!

Local Time:
      You may be interested in these companies.
      What I have bookmarked for interesting exhaust components and muffler designs.

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/StoreFront

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/

http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com

https://www.mufflermonster.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=37

http://www.fullboarperformanceexhaust.com/servlet/StoreFront

Some of these companies have full dual 3" kits for A body Mopar.

Lots of neat band and spring type couplers, mufflers, pipes, bends, friggin dual straight pipes with 3/4 race cams.

Oh, here is the mufflers I was talking about with the glass pack design, check it out!

http://www.fullboarperformanceexhaust.com/servlet/the-12/Max,-Flow,-SS,-Stainless,/Detail

• 6pakattack

6pakattack Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    • 340 8BBL

340 8BBL Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      glass packs can sound good and period correct if done properly.i had a set of classic chambered exhaust cobra packs on my 340 dart with an h pipe( 2.5) when it was pretty stock.it got lots of comments on how good it sounded.personally i like straight thru mufflers over chambered(flowmasters) because it seems like everyone runs flow or flow copies.things have changed over the years and my 340 now sports multiple changes including a tunnel ram and dual 3" exhaust with an x-pipe and dynomax ultaflow mufflers.its not nearly as loud as youd think .it looks ,runs ,and sounds like a "muscle car" imo.

• theothergarth

theothergarth Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Thrush Turbos here. Been on the car for over 12 years and still look good on the outside and sound sweet. I did however, find that going from turn downs in front of the rear axle to full pipes all the way to the back, changed the sound drastically. The turn downs were probably louder, but definitely more obnoxious inside the car. Once we ran the pipes out the back, it was much more bearable inside the car and honestly, I think it made it sound like a bigger, meaner engine than it was even if the over all dB level was a bit lower.

273 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I don't know why everyone want noisy exhaust, last thing I want is cops hearing me boot around town and its annoying to all the cars around you, a little rumble at idle is nice though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Bulldozer

Bulldozer free ice cream sandwiches

Local Time:
        i havent ran mine all the way out yet, they dump just ahead of the axle and they sound healthy.

• 1973dusterkid

1973dusterkid Watch This

Local Time:
        Anyone use flowmaster 10s

• mopar410

mopar410 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I don't know if they still make them but back in the 80's I had a set of thrush with a roadrunner on them.I don't know the offical name but that was the muscle car sound.BTW running water in a glasspack muffler will only cause it to rust faster,the packing doesn't bust apart when cold water hits it like the old style.The long the glasspack the less(annoying)popping sound but they are quiter.My car has flowmasters on it from the PO and it sounds real good but all I hear is the cam hitting lol,it is louder than my cuda.I don't have anything to compare them too since I've been out of old cars for awhile but my 06 charger(daytona edition) sounds pretty good but it is not overly loud.

• HemiDenny

HemiDenny HDK Suspension FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Jegs Flowmaster 40 knock-offs are on sale..$24.99
        Except no center inlet/outlet

• mopar410

mopar410 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        BTW,what I like in a old car is a swish sound not a poppy sound.A grawl and a gurgle

• Abodybomber

Abodybomber Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:) Legendary Member

Local Time:
        The exhaust section,has a sound byte thread,IIRC........

• inkjunkie

inkjunkie Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Yep....nothing like a car that is annoying loud and slow as a turd....almost as comical as the folks that put a cat back exhaust on a 1 ton truck with pretty much any gas motor in it and then floor it out of every light like it is a race car....

• MopaR&D

MopaR&D Nerd Member

Local Time:
        2:20 PM
        I agree my cousin has a pair of Ultra Flos on his 440-powered '72 Polara and it sounds pretty mellow cruising around but nice bark when you hit the gas. My Duster has a pair of classic chambered "Powersticks" which sound great but can be a bit much at times :D:D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzOWDkwx5nw"]1970 Plymouth Duster 360 cold start (Powerstick mufflers) - YouTube[/ame]

The same company makes some small 12" glasspack resonators which I am considering getting, this high-compression 360 makes a lot more noise than my old tired 318 lol

• Abodybomber

Abodybomber Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:) Legendary Member

Local Time:
        X2,on the Ultra Flos.An acquaintance,has a pair,on a low 10's 500 inch 65 GTO.Can hardly hear it idling.Hammer it,sounds so sweet.

• buck351

buck351 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        A lot of variables in exhaust sound with the same mufflers. Engine setup and pipe sizes seems to effect things. On my 67 GTS dart dead stock years ago I put Cherry Bomb glass packs on and it sounded nice. It was dead stock with 2.25 head pipes and 1-7/8" tail pipes. Then I changed the intake, cam (twice the overlap same lift and duration) and Roads Lifters and it was too loud. Went to Doug Thorley mufflers which I think were turbos and it toned it down and sounded nice again. Then years later new exhaust system with 2.25 all the way out the back and three chamber performance mufflers and it sounded good still not too loud. Then restoration and the engine got milder cam and same exhaust. Now it had bad drone. After going thru different mufflers I got the drone reduced a lot using Dynomax VT's and have nice sound with some tolerable drone which is not ear/brain rattling. See this thread for my journey: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=202506 . I could be wrong but it looks like small blocks have less drone problems than big blocks in general but there's still a number of variables for how it sounds and drones or not. Bad drone is no fun.

• 2 Darts

2 Darts A-body Addicted

Local Time:
        LOL. I hate to break it to you but you may be getting old. Back in the day, one of my friends with a hot ride had a 396 Chevelle, straight pipes & resonators. I thought that thing sounded cool at the time. People in the cemetery would sit up when he drove past with his foot in it. Today, it would be way too loud for me.

• AdamR

AdamR Big Member

Local Time:
        I like loud cars. Loud = image of power under the hood. That said the pypes exhaust on my Duster is pretty quite but its growing on my. I am thinking of trying set of Mac Flowpaths. Ive never heard them on anything other then Mustangs but they sound great on those.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.