Gluing Dash Bezels?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of dash bezels Abody which have small pieces broken off them. I want to glue the pieces back together before sending them for restoration. I tried the super glue and it would not even stick to the plastic. What kind of glue do I need to really fuse these parts together?

check out lord-fusor. they make all kinds of glues and sealers for automotive finishes. i ve used it on grilles and stuff before and it works great. strong stuff.

talk to whoever is doing the re-chrome for you. They will explain why many type glues wont work. Plastic welding is the best route.

Those pieces are made of ABS. Use ABS plumbing pipe cement from Lowes, Home Depot
etc.

I have a couple of dash bezels Abody which have small pieces broken off them. I want to glue the pieces back together before sending them for restoration. I tried the super glue and it would not even stick to the plastic. What kind of glue do I need to really fuse these parts together?

I use JP weld. Spred it on with a tooth pick so that you don't get it all over. Before that make shure you have a way of clamping it before you glue. I had a couple cracks in mine and worked well I am sanding and re painting my bezels right now.

talk to whoever is doing the re-chrome for you. They will explain why many type glues wont work. Plastic welding is the best route.

A big x2 on Benny's comment re talking to whomever is going to be doing your work. I've had my own share of trying to work around "wrong input fixes" from those who weren't qualified to do the 'repairs' in the first place. Let the pro handle it or at least condone the route you plan to go -- it'll save you money and him time trying to figure out what was used on it.

i have tried all different types of glue for the plastic pieces on our cars'. none ever held up for me.

i also plastic weld it all, then sand smooth, then good to go. never had one crack where i have fixed

Checked my repair this morning with Jp weld . Did a great Job. I don't worry aout JP Weld because it dosen't desolve plastic. I do agree with you Cudachic. If your not comfortable in what your doing and your sending them out anyway, let the rechromer take care of it.

I dont like to argue , and I really dont care how your parts turn out but... before plastic welders a powder substance used to repair dentures was the only material suitable for repairing abs plastic that was to be vacuum metalized. Even that stuff was a hit and miss. it is sort of like concrete in that too much water or not enough water in the mix would effect how it set up. Good luck anyway

-
Back