GM 1 wire alt on a 273?

-

Hell_Fish

Reaction score
Im not a GM fan, but the alts are pretty solid units and the mopar electrical systems were about the only fault you can find with the classic machines. Has anyone installed a 1 wire GM alt on a 273 with A/C? What would I need to convert?

Go with a 80-90's dakota/ram alt. They work just as good (and your keeping it in the family). Some of the rams even had 140ish amp alts. Plus no rewiring, 2 fields and a power wire.

Good luck
Jake

DSCN0323.jpg

DSCN0324.JPG

DSCN0325.JPG

I'm using one out of an 85 318 new yorker. The only change you need to make is to ground one of the field leads. Upgrading to a bigger hot wire is recommended....I have not done that yet, but I will in the resto.
88ddd903.jpg

mopar340dave's Allpar link has great info.

I would keep your current voltage regulator (instead of later flatback), and wire as mopar340dave did (ground one field wire). You may already have the later electronic regulator that looks just like the original mechanical one. If not, they should still be available. That will give you continuous electronic regulation. It should work as well as the flatback regulator, without any wiring changes. The electronic ones are potted, instead of the removable metal cover.

And the old school version won't spew melted slime down your firewall when it dies! LOL

Vintage air makes a bracket for a/c and alt that mounts a Sanden 508 compressor and a Chrysler alt. Part # 162774-SDA

I mounted a GM alt on it with no problem and the alt adjusting arm that came with the V.A. bracket even worked attached to the ear on the compressor.

I also mounted a GM alt on the stock Chrysler a/c bracket and it worked with the stock adjusting arm.

When upping the alt amperage its necessary to put in heaver gauge wire to handle it.

-
Back