GM Alternator

-

coolbreeze

LoweLife
Reaction score
Anyone used a GM single wire alt. on their small block? I can see some advantages with the built-in votage regulator and the easy (cheap) replacement cost.

it may not be as cheap as you think! I priced one for my neighbors tractor (new) and they were well over $100 but to my surprise a mopar one was a little cheaper, but it needed the external regulator, insted my neighbor found a rebuild GM one for $30

personally I don't like them

I can purchase a New chrome unit for about $70 and they are easily attainable at any auto store no matter where I am at. I really like the 1-wire deal and being able to lose the external Volt reg.

I put one on my duster when i rewired the entire car and i love it. Go to autozone and for not much you also get a lifetime warranty on it. It made wiring the car alot easier. If you know anyone that wants a original alt. Send them my way. I've got 2 collecting dust.

I ran a chevy alt along with HEI unit for years on my daily driver and never had any problems. I am also working on modifying a slant six alt bracket to accept a chevy alt right now.

I ran a chevy alt along with HEI unit for years on my daily driver and never had any problems. I am also working on modifying a slant six alt bracket to accept a chevy alt right now.
I need to go see your build :cheers: That slant in that ride is to cool :cheers:

Hello Alll
Dusterdown
what did you ask for at Autozone? Do you have a part number
there is a website 440source.com
they sell a denso 60 amp one wire alternator.
Im so confused as to go with the one wire or three. I read that the one wire does not charge well at idle. I personally would like to go the one wire way

thank you
George

What kind of modifications did you have to do to your mounting? I just modified my set-up (early water pump to later small brackets) and would hate to cut up the new chrome stuff!

I'm still working on it. I just dug it out of a box and we just moved so I am still getting my garage situated. I haven't had time to do a mock up in the car or on the spare motor to see if there is enough adjustment. This one is for the 73 Dart, the one in the 48 I modified the after market chevy brackets and mounted the alt on the driverside of the motor.

I will try to get a pic of what I have done to the stock slant bracket as soon as I can.

-
Back