GM question? Problem !!

-

Small Block

Reaction score
A lady bought a 01 Camaro with a V6 and she has lost confidence in it as sometimes it will not start. Nice car but she can drive it for a while, to the store or down town and everything is fine but then she comes out of the store and gets in and tries to start it but no dice. It's an intermitant thing. It's been to the dealer and put on the computer but they cant find nothing on the codes. It sounds electrical and she's tired of giving these guys $75 just to look at it. That dont include the price of fixin it if they did find something wrong. Any ideas guys. I know on our Mopars the electronic box has jacked with me in the past. Is something getting too hot? Shoot me some ideas and i'll try and help the gal out of a bind. Thanks.......OH and go ahead and give me some GM raggin....I'm ready.
Small Block

I can offer no GM help but will say cudos to you for helping a lady out. :cheers: Even if her choice of cars is a little off. :toothy10:

I,ve had issues with the module in the distributor(back in my GM days).This was on a smallblock,which is very easy to pinpoint issues.This one had me stumped for a bit,I happened to have a spare dizzy and swapped them out.That,s how I found out it was the module in the dizzy.Hope this helps?

Could be just about anything. VATS, Ign module, loose wiring, heat.
If it's not throwing codes, it must think it's doing what it's supposed to do, or wont record any codes without the car running.
Will it start EVERY morning? then sometime throughout the day it will not start?
What does the vehicle anti theft system led on the dash look like when it wont start?

Temperature related failure of ignition module is common to all of them, not just Ford or Chevy. Its most common where the module is mounted on or in the distributer.

does that year car have a dist. anymore? if it does, the ecm controlled module (attatched to the bottom plate of the dist) shuts off like clockwork when it fails.

I had '98 GM w/ 2.8 V6 product with distribute less ignition that done very similarly. It turned out to be the ignition module.

is the starter turning over? and if so what is it not getting, spark, fuel pressure, etc?

Fark,everyones been so nice an helping.

Tell her you have a boat an that her car would
be put into more use if it was used as an ANCHOR.
;)

Check the crank position sensor. Those commonly had intermittent problems on GM V6s. My buddy runs a shop and gets 2-3 a week for that problem. Most were 90-93 models.

Or, she's shutting the car off in gear on an automatic. I did a stint as a tow truck driver in the late 80's and this is what people did 1 out of 5 calls. I'd put it in park and fire it back up.

When the car won't start, will it still crank? Have seen a lot of ignition lock cylinders break the VATS wires at the cylinder.

Just my 2 cents, but is the fuel pump working. My buddies car was doing the same thing. The fuel pump would get warm and work intermitently.

A lady bought a 01 Camaro with a V6 and she has lost confidence in it as sometimes it will not start. Nice car but she can drive it for a while, to the store or down town and everything is fine but then she comes out of the store and gets in and tries to start it but no dice. It's an intermitant thing. It's been to the dealer and put on the computer but they cant find nothing on the codes. It sounds electrical and she's tired of giving these guys $75 just to look at it. That dont include the price of fixin it if they did find something wrong. Any ideas guys. I know on our Mopars the electronic box has jacked with me in the past. Is something getting too hot? Shoot me some ideas and i'll try and help the gal out of a bind. Thanks.......OH and go ahead and give me some GM raggin....I'm ready.
Small Block
We had gotten a blazer for our son before I bought his 69 dart. On test ride it ran fine. One time we went to restart and nothing. Was told to wait 2 min and try again. Started and ran fine. Happened again before we left but took longer wait. On the exit ramp to our home it quit. Towed to dealer. CFI Unit.
One of the versions of the centralized fuel injection system has an injector with 6 legs (hoses) for each cylinder for fuel. Lots of people call this a spider or spider injector. $900.00 at the dealer. Was told the way these go bad is they intermit. won't start after warm up. When it fails you turn key off and wait a couple of seconds and try to start. As the unit goes into more failier it will take longer and longer wait to restart. When it's really getting ready for complete failier it will start dying while driving and then finally won't start at all.
1 year later it started doing it again and we sold it! They can be had for about $350.00 if you do yourself. It's under the part that looks like a intake manifold. I'm suprised it's not showing up at test at the dealer.
That was our great GM feeling!!!!! Was absolutly the last time, never again, shitolet!
Just an idea...:-D
Good luck!

-
Back