goin' V8

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
I am planning on getting my car back to a v8 this winter. The car came from the factory with a 273 2bbl, it is currently sporting a /6 . I have a couple of lines on used motors locally here and have some questions.

Option 1 - 1987 plymouth caravelle - 318 v8 rebuilt tranny and rearend. Car is propane powered. car is $400.00 complete

How much work would be involved in converting the motor back to good old petrol? Are there other parts besides the engine and tranny I could steal from this car?(Brakes, rear axel etc)

Option 2 - Low milage dodge 318/360 - approximately 30,000 km on motor, came out of a truck. No tranny apparently the guy has to check with his brother to see if it is a 318 or 360. If it is a 360, how much more power am i going to get?

Opinions/Suggestions are requested, and encouraged :headbang:

Robb Adams

I'd go for a 360 if I were you. I went through the original 273, then a 318 and finally put a 360 in my 66. I wouldn't ever go back to one of the smaller engines. Take your time and look around, don't be in a rush to grab the first thing that comes along. You're in calgary aren't you? You should have plenty to choose from in a 360 in that area.
What year / make / model is your car? The pre 67 models required fairly specific exhaust manifolds for the V8's. If it's 67 or later then you won't have any problems in that area.

Its a 66 so yes exhaust manifolds will be the biggest challenge.

I am still looking, so we will see what comes up. I may go with the 318 to start since it would also include the tranny. Also from what I understand if I decided to upgrade to the 360 a lot of the performance goodies are interchangable.

I have seen a couple of "beater" trucks for sale locally with 360's but from what I understand, the truck trannys are too long.

Robb Adams

Ya your going to want a short tail shaft tranny. I have some manifolds off a 65 Cuda. Hopefully you still have the V8 draglength in it, and won't have to worry about that either. That 318 that's run on propaine, they say that propaine runs real clean. It out to be a good motor. I would probably go 360 myself, but hey V8 period would be cool.

Lee

OK I got another line on another 318 for a great price.

What are the differences between a 78, and an 87 318?

The 87 may have a better set of heads, not sure when those good 318 heads came out. Somebody with more knowledge(?) may chime in, but it could have those 302 casting heads and it will also more than likely have roller lifters too.

Lee

Where are you located? I have a 318/904 out of a 67 dart with the 2bbl 273 single plane intake. Also have the manifolds to go with it. Don't the shape of the tranny but the 318 would need a rebuild.

I am in Calgary. Both the 318's i have located are in the 3-400 range with tranny.

After some more research, 86+ 302 heads are considered desireable. I am not sure if they are supposed to be used on an older block, or if it makes a difference. I am planning to build a low end grunt type set up instead of a High RPM HP type. probably a dual plane manifold with a 600ish CFM 4bbl carb.

I read somewhere but cannot find the artical now that Durrango exhaust manifolds can be used on early a-bodies for increased flow. Has anyone tried this?

From the been there done that in small block V-8 engines, it would be IMO that a 360 with it's extra stroke and larger bore has only 2 draw backs.
1. Externally balanced. If you do not have a tranny to go with the 360, a B&M, TCI or other flex plate is needed. It's a cheap adapter flex plate that allows a netral balanced converter to be used on a external balanced engine.
In example, a 273, 318, 340 converter to a 360 without issue.
('73 - 340 converter exempt, 1 year weird external balance engine not compatable with a 360 external balance.)
2. Mileage is down by a very small amount. 2 -3 hwy mpg.

The extra torque of the engine is something you should shoot for, not consider.

I had my old 360 getting 20 mpg's in my Dodge Magnum that weighed in @ 3700+ lbs.
Mild mods from the stock 2bbl. configuration were;
a '73 - 340 air cleaner with a K&N filter
Iron 4bbl intake with a Carter 625 carb
Truck distibutor triggering a MSD. (MSD is a excellent mileage enhancer)
Dual exhaust off the manifolds @ 2-1/4 inch w/ a "H" pipe
The rear gear was a 2.76 with 235/60/15's (26 inch) on all 4 corners.

What are the differences between a 78, and an 87 318?
moparlee is right. Also correct on a roller cammed engine. Spec'd @ 240/240 - .391/.391, this Hyd. roller is lame for the tail pipe passing the test. However, you have everything else so the expense is just for a cam and maybe springs to match. A good idea.
You can get a cam from Crane, Comp or many other places. A mild one would improve everything on the engine. To big and mileage drops off. Use caution.

The '78, 318 has or should have slightly lower compresion and cruddy heads.
The 302 series head should be on the '85 - '87 engine and would be choice in head selection. Also with it's smaller chamber and better design, it should show nice power improvments with mild cams and compresion increases.
(Via piston or head mill)
For the choice between 318's, go for the '85 roller 302 headed engine.

What I described above in the bolt on's to my 360 should be done to your 318 if you so decided to get and use it. You the trick/bolt ons above for a gain everywhere without penelty. (SP!) The engine should respond well without mileage loss (Actually you should gain) and increase in power.

-
Back