Going back to the basics- here is why:

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So the 66’ progressively is getting worse when I step on the gas. Breaking up and hesitating and just running like dog snot.
Checked timing, thru in new plugs (old ones looked great.) Ohmed out the wires, checked the cap, and nothing to write home about. Then, at 4am this morning I thought about the ignition module. GM 4 pin hei.
Sure enough- pulled it this morning and found a crack. Changed it out with a new Napa and runs good again.
Allways check your basics.
IMG_4182.jpeg

So the 66’ progressively is getting worse when I step on the gas. Breaking up and hesitating and just running like dog snot.
Checked timing, thru in new plugs (old ones looked great.) Ohmed out the wires, checked the cap, and nothing to write home about. Then, at 4am this morning I thought about the ignition module. GM 4 pin hei.
Sure enough- pulled it this morning and found a crack. Changed it out with a new Napa and runs good again.
Allways check your basics. View attachment 1716242372
Yep. Had a instructor in tech school preach that. Oh, and "never overlook the obvious". SOmetimes the simple things will bite you in the butt if you don't pay close enough attention. The GM HEI would be my first choice if I was to go electronic. I have the original dual point in my 66 and it works perfect. Pertronix in my 70 which works well. Instead of Mopar's electronic, the HEI would be my choice. 12 volt, no ballast, and no junk ECU's.

I have never had an HEI module fail on any of my GM cars. But, the first time I took my 68 Cuda out the chrome box died, switched to MSD 6AL no problems in 14 yrs.

The grass always looks greener on the other side. LOL
Pretty much anything from the factory was built to hold up for the service life.
Finding a legit original spec HEI module is like finding a legit original spec ECU, or Duraspark or you name it.

On the opposite pole we can look to the one of leaders of aftermarket low cost 'upgrades'

You'll like the technical reviews here.
cheap HEI distributors
snip: the fabulous Skip White $50 Fake HEI. ...make sure your AAA is paid up. I have seen these that didn't make it out of the driveway.

Carbon button in distributor cap broken off, melted

The grass always looks greener on the other side. LOL
Pretty much anything from the factory was built to hold up for the service life.
Finding a legit original spec HEI module is like finding a legit original spec ECU, or Duraspark or you name it.

On the opposite pole we can look to the one of leaders of aftermarket low cost 'upgrades'

You'll like the technical reviews here.
cheap HEI distributors
snip: the fabulous Skip White $50 Fake HEI. ...make sure your AAA is paid up. I have seen these that didn't make it out of the driveway.

Carbon button in distributor cap broken off, melted
I'll have to read through that stuff. I need a good laugh today. Hoppy Ignition Parts for me. Nothing wrong with the simplicity of a set of points, old stock condensers, and a extra ballast in your glove box or tool kit.

I have never had an HEI module fail on any of my GM cars. But, the first time I took my 68 Cuda out the chrome box died, switched to MSD 6AL no problems in 14 yrs.
Big difference in failure rate: modular inside distributor vs MoPar mounted outside distributor. 4 years now. I still would be driving so it was not a complete failure.

Ohmed out the wires
Good to see that I'm not the only one who ohms out plug wires.

I too get a head of myself sometimes instead of systematically checking the basics. We are human after all.

-
Back