Going on a diet

-

wedgie

Reaction score
The waterpumps on our early cars have the water outlet on the opposite side from the later ones. Does anybody make a direct replacement aluminum pump that will work on our early 273's?
If anyody has their car apart, can you tell me how much the side glass and regulators weigh? Thinking about lexan on the door windows and quarter winows as well as eliminating the regulators if there is enough weight savings.

I had a 273 with a stock late model water pump on it. The water outlet was on right hand side. Which side is yours on now?

Check out summits website under cooling. I just did the late style conversion on my 64. I did find a Milodon or flowcooler for the early smallblocks. I'm not sure they are available in aluminum..

Bob

I had a 273 with a stock late model water pump on it. The water outlet was on right hand side. Which side is yours on now?
My stock 1965 is on the left side.

overflow bottle.jpg

Just had this radiator rebuilt and would like to keep original looking. It looks like the same waterpump was used on "A" and "LA" engines from 1957 through 1969.

I had the same problem . I sent my waterpump out for rebuild.

I had the same problem . I sent my waterpump out for rebuild.
Still wanting to use aluminum to lose weight and look original after some red paint. Darn iron pump is heavy.

The waterpumps on our early cars have the water outlet on the opposite side from the later ones. Does anybody make a direct replacement aluminum pump that will work on our early 273's?
If anyody has their car apart, can you tell me how much the side glass and regulators weigh? Thinking about lexan on the door windows and quarter winows as well as eliminating the regulators if there is enough weight savings.
I have a regulator here for the door and it was 3lbs 14oz. The vent window was 1lb 4oz. Door glass 9lbs 12oz. Sorry the back side glass I can't find.Jysnflem

I have a regulator here for the door and it was 3lbs 14oz. The vent window was 1lb 4oz. Door glass 9lbs 12oz. Sorry the back side glass I can't find.Jysnflem
Thank you very much.

Still looking for weight loss. Dumped 46# by changing seats. Glass is going to be changed to lexan. I wonder if any of the club members have done any junkyarding for radiators. Hate to spend the big $ for the custom ones.
Most newer cars have aluminum radiators, and it seems that there must be one that would readily replace one of the 22" wide V8 radiators in our early cars.

Go to your local autoparts store. Look thru their radiator books, the sizes are usually listed there. I'm thinking I read here that a jeep grand cherokee rad works???? I would n't get a junkyard rad. With the plastic tanks and all, get a new one..

Bob

Wedgie,
What kind of radiator you looking for? I have an aluminum cross flow with a drivers side outlet I took out of my A body, I would be willing to part with.
Cheap, Its in good shape.

Wedgie,
What kind of radiator you looking for? I have an aluminum cross flow with a drivers side outlet I took out of my A body, I would be willing to part with.
Cheap, Its in good shape.
KOCUDA. PM sent.
I am trying to get something light and reasonable. If I find something that will fit, I'll probably buy new. The original that I have now has been recored and works great, but sure is heavy and doesn't leave much room for an electric fan/shroud setup.

I have removed the glass to be replaced with lexan. Regulators out also. The rear window trim was also removed. The windshield rubber looks new. The trim is in exceptional condition. Glass is all nice. Regulators work just fine. Thought that I'd offer everything here before ebagging it all.

-
Back