going to a 383 in my Dart

-

Dixie Dart

Reaction score
what changes have to be made when going from a 318 to a 383 will it use the same motor mounts?

No, the mounts are different. You will need big block mounts, headers, and trans at the least.

I would think so. I'm going from a /6 to a 383 and cant wait to get it in there. I was pricing a 408 build vs a 383 and the difference was negligible. I guess it all depends on what kind of deal you get on the 383 and wether or not its been rebuilt with the parts you want and so on... The one I got was rebuilt with a few miles on it so there were a lot of things I didnt have to buy in the shortblock. The 360 magnum i had was a bare shortblock that needed everything from machining to pistons, crank, cam, etc. So I will actually come out a little cheaper going to a big block.

the got everything with the engine and trans except exhaust manifolds or headers and brakets 4 power steering and alt

what changes have to be made when going from a 318 to a 383 will it use the same motor mounts?

These are some of the mods I did when I went from a 273 to a 383 in my '68 Dart.

Radiator, Twin electric fans $ Relay, .920 Torsion bars, BB Trans & TC, Motor Mounts & torque strap, Headers, Center sump oil pan (to clear K member), shortened drive shaft, 8 3/4 Rear end, Front disc brakes / metering-proportioning valve, Rear spring perch relocator kit for wider tires, Weld -in Frame stiffeners and new shocks, to name a few..

What do you want to do with the car. Go out and burn some tires off on Saturday night or drive it to work everyday and get some good mileage with it?

i got this for a weekend toy and to go to some small carshows and cruise nights

thanks for the website. I'm also wondering about my front suspention i hope it holds

-
Back