Going to buy welder tonight

-
That should be fine for sheet metal, I have a slightly more jazzed up version but basically the same thing. I have no experience with the flux core wire, I use the argon/Co2 shielding gas. The other thing you will need is an auto dimmer helmet, they've come way down in price and are pretty much a must. When you weld sheet metal you never pull a bead so it's not like once you get started you're good to go, you spot it in to avoid excess heat and to do that with a dark helmet or worse a hand held one would drive you insane.

Rob said:
That should be fine for sheet metal, I have a slightly more jazzed up version but basically the same thing. I have no experience with the flux core wire, I use the argon/Co2 shielding gas. The other thing you will need is an auto dimmer helmet, they've come way down in price and are pretty much a must. When you weld sheet metal you never pull a bead so it's not like once you get started you're good to go, you spot it in to avoid excess heat and to do that with a dark helmet or worse a hand held one would drive you insane.

yup that auto helmet is some damn good advise,,,also ,I see its 20 amp,,if you are going to do any heavy welding then make sure you get yourself a 20 amp service and it will not cut out on ya. Enjoy the toy and I second the gas thing. I use allmig, its 3 kinds of gas mixed in the same bottle, a couple bux cheaper than argon/co2 but I find it works a bit better if the metal is a bit dirty or a little rust left on after cleaning

Just got back, I got the welder and a $99 auto helmet, ya I wanted to use gas, I just have to get a bottle and the gas now, got welder, helmet, gloves and a few other things for about $700.

I used to stick weld a bit never tried mig, looking foreward to it :)

You can also use straight Co2. I use this specifically because I don't have to pay for it. It shields the same, unless you start welding on stainless, or other similar metals. Hopefully you have a handheld grinder, with either a grinding wheel or wire brush. Cleanliness is very very important with any welding. And practice, practice well you get the picture. Congrats.

You are going to love it compared to the stick.
Fix the metal lawn furniture and you wife will like it too. :blob:

Here's your first project...A cart for it :headbang: LOL

weldercart022005.jpg

yup,,,that was my first project too,,,a cart,,,maybe that could a new thread somewhere to give new people a few ideas to look at,,,show me your cart

duster 061.jpg

-
Back