going V8

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
I have a 66 cuda that was originally a V8 2bbl car, but for some reason was converted to a slant six at some point before i owned it.

I drive the car every day say 5-10 miles including in the Winter. The Winter weather in Calgary is reasonable for Canada, but temps can get as low as minus 20C.

I was looking into pepping up the six so it is more fun to drive, but for what it would cost I think I could just go back to an Eight.

Locating a proper 273 is not really cost effective, and I am not really looking to have a restored type car, I am more interested in a mild "Streetrod" type set up. Perhaps hitting the track a when visiting various regional car shows next summer. I would deffinately say I am looking for something for "Spirited" driving.

Obviously 318 & 360 motors seem the easiest to come by, and from what I have read, should drop into my car fairly easy. I have seen a few running motors available localy in the 500-700 range, mostly still in beater trucks/Vans. Is this a reasonable starting point?

I belive the tranny is a 3 spd torqueflight, so I think a new bellhousing would be required.

I am looking for input as to what type of setup is reccomended. Cost is a factor, as I would like to maintain my current marital, status. I also am not really willing to have to run more than 89 Octane Gas. The car has to be able to run in the cold. I also would like to stick with Auto Trans as I would sometimes (once a week or so) have to drive the car into work in rushour traffic.

Robb

Well, I hear ya brother. Money is a factor here and with most everyone I think as well.

IMO, I would look for another 904 tranny because the drive shaft you currently have should very well fit in without any problems at at all. But you do need a V-8 tranny. The bellhousing is attached to the tranny, thus the need for one tanny, not bell housing unless you have a manual trans.

I also recomend that a 360 be purchased for it's increased torque output. Very good gas mileage can be had with a 360. (Heavy right foot exempt, hot rod parts can hurt mileage) He he he, my disclaimer, that you allready know.)

If your rear end is a 8-1/4, you'll be fine. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade to the 8-1/4 as a min.

The prices to listed seem OK to me. Thats about what they are here (N.Y. Metro area), but thats also American vs. Candian $$$.
See if you can score the drivetrain in one shot. The whole thing as a unit, not seperate.
Also, the 318 is an internally balanced engine where the 360 is external balanced engine. Balancers and torque converters will not swap.
The more complete the engine tranny, the less problems you will have.

Power parts/bolt on's

Basic parts can add decent HP. Weather or not you have headers would dictate what cam I would select if that was to be changed out.
IMO, a basic intake/carb/exhaust mod (Headers or not) will add nice power. Search the classifieds and swap meets for the deals and you should do well.

Use the K.I.S.S. Meathod (Keep it simple son) and the car and engine should give many miles of problem free driving. 89 octane can be used in normal engines even with bolt ons and a cam. Just keep it mello and your good to go.

Apparently headers are a tough option on the "narrow "A-Bodies.

Got a PM from a Local fellow who may have a line on a local 318 What is the potential of this motor?

Robb

Robb, Rumble gave you some good advice. Another thing to scratch your head about is the exhaust, as previously mentioned. If you have a pair of the old 273 manifolds for the pre 67 V8, then you're laughing. Otherwise, the newer exhaust manifolds will NOT fit in the early A bodies, and headers to fit your car could cost you a marriage - OUCH!! :) As Rumble said, the 360 is the engine of choice, but if you're really on a tight budget, then get a 318, but it won't be long before you have a yen for a 360 - the need for speed. If you decide to go with a 318, I have one here I'll give you, all you have to do is drive out and pick it up. It was running when I removed it from the Dodge truck, but it's been sitting for years and would need to be completely rebuilt. Let me know what you decide.

Hmmmm Tempting. Where exactly is forrestburgh?

I am going to Edmonton for a wedding in November.

What is the reccomended tranny for this application?

Robb

I'm 3 hours Northeast of you. 2.5 hours Southeast of Edmonton. 1 hour Southeast of Camrose. :)
You can use either a 904 or 727 tranny with the 318. The slant 6 tranny won't fit the 318 so you'll need a V8 tranny.
You also probably have a 7.25" rear end in there, and that won't take a lot of HP or torque before it expires.

-
Back