going with a dakota transmission

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
Ok so Im going to go with a manual dakota transmission, what and all will I need from the truck? and what years does the 5 speeds come in, and what are they called?

Don't you have to cut up the floor for one of those?

Floor cutting is the easy part.

From the Dakota, grab everything from block to rear. Discard what will not be used.
To use the converter, B&M sells flex plates for this issue. Contact them for the proper part if you get confused with looking.

thanks sir

Floor cutting is the easy part.

From the Dakota, grab everything from block to rear. Discard what will not be used.
To use the converter, B&M sells flex plates for this issue. Contact them for the proper part if you get confused with looking.

Make sure and get a 95 or older cause in 96 they went to electronic shift controlled by the computer.

BTW: why are you going with an A518? Why not a A500? Built correctly they'll handle a lot of power and their a little shorter so fitting one in is a little easier.

Make sure and get a 95 or older cause in 96 they went to electronic shift controlled by the computer.

BTW: why are you going with an A518? Why not a A500? Built correctly they'll handle a lot of power and their a little shorter so fitting one in is a little easier.

ya I will be finding an A500

I think they all have numvers stamped on the left pan rail. Tou dont wamt before 90 model. The 89 had fluid flow issued. Corrected bt cross drilling the sprag but why bother.
94 and later are 42re, elecronic controller required.
If my memory serves the 92 still had a cable driven speedo.

The pans on the A500 and A518 look identical to a 904 and 727.

Here's a link to a page that shows the different automatics with pics of the pans. The pics of the overdrive transmissions themselves look to be 4wd trans. with the transfer cases off. A 2wd model looks similar but tapers down on the back end and has an output shaft just like a 904 or 727 depending on if it's a A500 or A518

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=108

I think they all have numvers stamped on the left pan rail. Tou dont wamt before 90 model. The 89 had fluid flow issued. Corrected bt cross drilling the sprag but why bother.
94 and later are 42re, elecronic controller required.
If my memory serves the 92 still had a cable driven speedo.

Do you have any information on the pre 90 models and their supposed oil flow issues? I'm not disputing your word. Just like to know cause I rebuilt a 88 A500 for a buddy and the truck had over 250,000 miles on it and looked original. I don't know if he got lucky or it's just a rumor about the oil flow issue. Also, cross drilling the sprague doesn't make much sense to me. I regulary drill a small oil feed hole (1/16") to lube the sprague better but I've seen numerous torqueflites (o.d. models included) go over 200,000 miles without the mod. I just feel it's a worth mod. And are you positive about 94 being the year they went to electronic shift? I thought it was 95 when they went to the RE series but I admit I'm not up to par on the o.d. models like a 3 spd. torqueflite. 95 also had a speedo cable output. Just an electronic sensor screwed onto it but you can unscrew it and screw a speedo cable on. Haven't worked on anything newer than 95 so I'm not sure what their like after that. Your correct about them having an i.d. # on the left side pan rail but the problem is I can't find anything online to identify anything newer than an 86. The dealer can tell you what it's from but that's the only way I know. Thanks Red

How much of a beating will a V6 transmission take before it implodes? I mean,runiing a hot V8 in front of it will shorten the life span,unless they can take it? What is the upper h.p limit of an A-500 or A-518 before and after mods

How much of a beating will a V6 transmission take before it implodes? I mean,runiing a hot V8 in front of it will shorten the life span,unless they can take it? What is the upper h.p limit of an A-500 or A-518 before and after mods

Considering the A500 is basically a 904 with overdrive (which is the same on the A500 and A518) I think it'll take quite a bit as long as it's in good shape or properly rebuilt. Guys regularry run 904's in 3200 lb. cars running 10's so their a lot tougher than we used to think. The o.d is the weak link I've read but I've also read that it'll take 400+ hp without any mods. Not positive on the upper limits but I believe SMR advertises a A518 that's good for 1000 hp.

ok I am an idiot guys I am looking for the 5 speed manual from the dakotas

ok I am an idiot guys I am looking for the 5 speed manual from the dakotas

ALL Dakota's to my knowledge have all their "critical info" printed on a sheet that is on the backside of the glovebox door....pop it open and voila!!! My 99' has it anyways, tell's you rear end, trans, options etc... Best of luck i'll be watching this one:)

Considering the A500 is basically a 904 with overdrive (which is the same on the A500 and A518) I think it'll take quite a bit as long as it's in good shape or properly rebuilt. Guys regularry run 904's in 3200 lb. cars running 10's so their a lot tougher than we used to think. The o.d is the weak link I've read but I've also read that it'll take 400+ hp without any mods. Not positive on the upper limits but I believe SMR advertises a A518 that's good for 1000 hp.

Wow! It sounds like it would hold up to a big block.The O.D would probably get killed though..

FWIW
I owned an '88 Dakota with the V6, 5 spd OD.
I really liked the truck, great size, plenty of power. But, the tranny tanked on me. I did not abuse it, but it tanked at about 150,000 mi. IIRC. It was very difficult at the time (1999) to find a replacement tranny, as I found out it was the weak link in the truck.
C

I have a complete 5 sp setup from a 88 or 89 D-100. Should be the same as the Dakota. Bell housing, flywheel, clutch, hydraulic TO bearing assy, trans. We pulled everything to replace the V-6 with a 440/727. But I am in Florida, so shipping wouldn't be cheap.

ALL Dakota's to my knowledge have all their "critical info" printed on a sheet that is on the backside of the glovebox door....pop it open and voila!!! My 99' has it anyways, tell's you rear end, trans, options etc... Best of luck i'll be watching this one:)

the earlier dakota's have that as well but its on the hood on the drivers side. I believe the dakota 5 speeds are called AX-15 5 speeds and can be found in most 1987-2001 dodge dakota's with 3.9 or 318 (5.2) not sure if the newer 3.7 or 4.7 are the same

you will want a transmission from a 2wd as 4wd will be different

FWIW
I owned an '88 Dakota with the V6, 5 spd OD.
I really liked the truck, great size, plenty of power. But, the tranny tanked on me. I did not abuse it, but it tanked at about 150,000 mi. IIRC. It was very difficult at the time (1999) to find a replacement tranny, as I found out it was the weak link in the truck.
C

At 150 000 miles I'd say it was due. Thats really not too bad!

-
Back