Good Day

-

73Swinger18

✱ⓈⓌⒾⓃⒼⒺⓇ
Reaction score
So I got the tuning all squared away today and am happy with everything. I thought the day would never come where I could just enjoy driving it. So how do I convince the wife and kids to go ride with me? Take them to some far away park the kids have always wanted to check out. Let's hope she stays running well and I get more days like today. Thanks to all who have helped me along the way.
IMG_20170325_164938.jpg

So the park was really nice. It had a hiking path around it which the kids loved. When we got home, I dropped the family off and took the Dart out for a spin. Cop drives by me, flips around and lights me up. DAMN IT! Was I speeding? Nope. He pulled me over for a burned out tail light. He asked me if all four were supposed to light up or just two of them. I told him just two of them and he double checked. He gave me a warning and sent me on my way. At home, I had the wife test the brakes with me. Yup, two of the four lit up. I think he was expecting all four to light up or he just wanted to check out the car. I hate that feeling when you see those lights. Enjoy the picture.
IMG_20170325_200217.jpg

Last edited:
Its great to know what's up with your car and to be able to TELL the cop he/she is wrong. They sure get done in a hurry and nothing better than hearing them apologize! Cool your car is on the road, don't fret an over ambitious cop. I always ask them if I can check what they claimed is wrong with my car, pisses them off, and if they won't let me, they can't write a ticket.

Yup, only the two outer lenses on your car.
I have pretty close to the same car you do (how they started out life)
I changed the lenses and wiring on mine so all four light with the brakes, two on each side for signals and only the two outers for tail lights.
BTW I was impressed when I took a look at your photos.
I looks like you did a lot of the work yourself.

Yup, only the two outer lenses on your car.
I have pretty close to the same car you do (how they started out life)
I changed the lenses and wiring on mine so all four light with the brakes, two on each side for signals and only the two outers for tail lights.
BTW I was impressed when I took a look at your photos.
I looks like you did a lot of the work yourself.
Thanks! I like doing as much as possible, that way I understand the car better. I was always a Ford guy, but I've really enjoyed this car. We'll see what I get next. I'd like to get a Galaxie or Ambassador for my next project. That probably won't happen for a while. I don't plan on getting rid of the Dart anytime soon.

Thanks! I like doing as much as possible, that way I understand the car better. I was always a Ford guy, but I've really enjoyed this car. We'll see what I get next. I'd like to get a Galaxie or Ambassador for my next project. That probably won't happen for a while. I don't plan on getting rid of the Dart anytime soon.

I wouldn't mind having a Galaxie again, it was a pretty cool car.
There is a guy locally that has a 66 Falcon I wouldn't mind having, but not for the 6k he's trying to sell it for.
It's parked in the back of a lot and is pretty much all stock and neglected with no motor.

The cop gave you a warning!! For what? The light not being out?

Whoa, maybe if I have a light go out they will write me a warning for having an extra one (3) instead of one out. :D
My oldest Son drove the Wife's 72 Dart to work yesterday and on his way home at 1am he noticed the lights getting dim.
It lost the ground on the regulator, and is fixed now but the cop pulled him over because of the dim lights and asked where he was going.
He told them he was going home from work and that he gets off at 1am, but the cop didn't apparently like that answer because he kept asking him over and over if he had been drinking or doing drugs.
Once they grilled him for 1/2 hr he went to leave and the battery was too low to start the car at that point.
The cop told him to leave it there and walk, and that if it was still there at 7 this morning he was going to have it impounded.
What a dick.

So he walked home, woke me up at 2am and we went and jumped it to get it home.
I'm kinda glad the same cop didn't show up while we were doing it, because I was pretty pissed off about how he treated a broke down working guy.
All suspicion and accusations but ZERO help of any kind.

I wouldn't mind having a Galaxie again, it was a pretty cool car.
There is a guy locally that has a 66 Falcon I wouldn't mind having, but not for the 6k he's trying to sell it for.
It's parked in the back of a lot and is pretty much all stock and neglected with no motor.

Whoa, maybe if I have a light go out they will write me a warning for having an extra one (3) instead of one out. :D
My oldest Son drove the Wife's 72 Dart to work yesterday and on his way home at 1am he noticed the lights getting dim.
It lost the ground on the regulator, and is fixed now but the cop pulled him over because of the dim lights and asked where he was going.
He told them he was going home from work and that he gets off at 1am, but the cop didn't apparently like that answer because he kept asking him over and over if he had been drinking or doing drugs.
Once they grilled him for 1/2 hr he went to leave and the battery was too low to start the car at that point.
The cop told him to leave it there and walk, and that if it was still there at 7 this morning he was going to have it impounded.
What a dick.

I'm kinda glad the same cop didn't show up while we were doing it, because I was pretty pissed off about how he treated a broke down working guy.
That's the problem nowadays. The image of police is tarnished because of cops like that guy. Everyone is a criminal. I restored a '64 Falcon Futura two door hardtop. It had a 170 inline six and two speed Ford-O-Matic. It was a slug, but looked awesome. I barely made back what I put into that car. That's why am am inclined to just keep my Dart. I've put way too much time and money into it.

Yea everyones a criminal all right, to bad most cops are the worst. I know a lot of cops and they all drink and drive. A good number of them smoke pot too. Not saying they are all bad but they sure as hell need atitude adjustment.

Anyone watch the new show "Live PD" on Friday and Saturday nights? Every, I mean EVERY car they pull over for anything, the cops grill the driver over and over trying to get them to admit something. Apparently the law allows them to search a vehicle "if" they smell pot. So...many times you hear the cop saying "I smell marijuana and I need you to step out so I can search your car.

I like supporting law enforcement, but jeez, when they act like that it gets hard to. There was no reason for that cop to be harassing your son. He just figured since your son was out so early, he must have been up to something. He was up to something alright...he was working!!!

If he wanted to check out the car he should have just said so!
Not too long ago, an Austin, Texas, officer pulled up beside me, tooted his horn and rolled down his window, so I did too. He simply said that my left brake light was not working, that I have a nice car, and that i oughtta fix that soon. When I turned in at the next autoparts store, he blipped his siren and gave me a thumbs up. that's why I said "officer"....

it really depends where you live and the age of the cop , the older ones tend to be car guys and real cool the younger ones are into the **** are Fabulous tuner mobiles and out for blood when they see muscle .

I had an older one stick his arm out and block a young one with his ticket book open at a check stop telling him " There's nothing wrong with that car " and then telling me to "Have a nice night sir " when there was clearly a whole lot wrong with my car lol , like only the front windshield for glass , only 1 bucket seat and the dash for the interior , no bumpers , no front turn signals/ parking light's , etc..... the car finally came home from the resto scammer after 18months and I needed a fix real bad .

i caught a pretty cool cop the other day ...about 11 at night, quiet street cutting through an industrial turf on my way home
2 lanes, 1 light
im in the fast lane, some import is in the slow lane

when the light turns green i start to go, not racing mind you, just pulling out
well, you know this thing people sometimes do, where they pace you, and your not really racing but your not letting the other car pass?

well, he did that to me
so at about 45 MPH i had enough and i stepped on it
1.5 seconds later, at 75 MPH i let off, and the moment i let off, the cop behind me lit me up

so i pulled over, killed the engine, turned the dome light on and put my hands on the wheel
he came over and asked if i had a drivers license
i said, i do, but im not gonna reach for it with that 9MM laying (i keep it under the armrest)

when he asked if it was loaded i managed to refrain from explaining they would be rather pointless otherwise and simply said "off course"

he ran my license and CPL and throughout the whole deal i of course was very polite (as always) and the cop must have appreciated that because he let me off with a warning
now, if you ever been let off with a warning before, you know it ALWAYS comes with a sermon (or so im told, i never get pulled over)

so, the sermon went something like this:

Son, what you are not getting a ticket for is reckless driving
if you get on it hard enough to go sideways...and i was behind you, you were s-i-d-e-w-a-y-s...that is considered reckless driving
and then he tells me, your driving an orange duster, if you acting out you WILL get noticed

Gotta love Ventura County Sheriffs/Camarillo cops huh ? Born and raised in Ventura and working down there now but live up in the Kernville area now. CHP comes home about 4:30 p.m. and Sheriffs normally not on this side of the lake. Generally you can go for a ride and enjoy your cruise without worry, I sure hate the traffic down there these days.

I took my Indy Spring out for a drive last summer and 2 miles from the house the CHP pulled me over. He said "you don't have a front license plate", your car's illegal. I asked him "what about the five cars you passed, including the 2013 BWM without a plate to get to me? He didn't answer.
Told him to give me the ticket, but fair ought to be fair.

He then went on to say the car was illegal because it didn't have turn signals. I told him they didn't have turn signals in 1929. He then said I didn't headlights, so I showed him the lights. He said you don't have a horn, so I honked the horn. He looked at the registration and said "it's a kit car, it's not legal". (The car started off life as a 1929 roaster pickup.) Had to tell him it wasn't a "kit" car, it originally had a Michigan title and came into CA in 2003 (it was first registered in 1929 in Detroit).

Make a long story short he finally said well, it's a cool car and the weather is great, have a nice ride! All he really wanted was to get look at the car. The car IS street legal with plates, etc.

IMG_0193.JPG

I took my Indy Spring out for a drive last summer and 2 miles from the house the CHP pulled me over. He said "you don't have a front license plate", your car's illegal. I asked him "what about the five cars you passed, including the 2013 BWM without a plate to get to me? He didn't answer.
Told him to give me the ticket, but fair ought to be fair.

He then went on to say the car was illegal because it didn't have turn signals. I told him they didn't have turn signals in 1929. He then said I didn't headlights, so I showed him the lights. He said you don't have a horn, so I honked the horn. He looked at the registration and said "it's a kit car, it's not legal". (The car started off life as a 1929 roaster pickup.) Had to tell him it wasn't a "kit" car, it originally had a Michigan title and came into CA in 2003 (it was first registered in 1929 in Detroit).

Make a long story short he finally said well, it's a cool car and the weather is great, have a nice ride! All he really wanted was to get look at the car. The car IS street legal with plates, etc.

View attachment 1715043970
What's the power plant?

-
Back