Good Deal, Decent Deal or Bad Deal?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a 68 340 block (may need work), crank, unsure if it's cast or forged, fresh heads with 2.02 valves, stock rods and pistons, solid cam and lifters and various new parts like timing set, HV oil pump and fuel pump. The asking price is $1000. The reason I can't say more about the block and crank is this guy doesn't really know what he has. I will be going to look at it tomorrow or Saturday. One of the reasons I am looking at this is it is local, only an hours drive away. They are scarce as hens teeth here.

So, what kind of deal do you think this is?

Jack

1000 seems high to me my 1970 340 block was given to me and for 360's I have never paid more then 500.00 for so if thats what the 68 340s are going for then I would say decent deal, if the motor needs work and he is still asking 1000 for it I would say Bad deal if you can get it for less then 700 I would say good deal

Last one I bought was $500 for a short block std bore with pan. Besides your garage might fall on it.

1000 seems high to me my 1970 340 block was given to me and for 360's I have never paid more then 500.00 for so if thats what the 68 340s are going for then I would say decent deal, if the motor needs work and he is still asking 1000 for it I would say Bad deal if you can get it for less then 700 I would say good deal

I agree a little high for not knowing and the seller doesn't know either so your stuck with it if it turns out bad.

........Thats a decent deal..........Or he may b pretending he doesnt know anything......that way he's not on the hook if something is wrong with it....kim......

One of the problems I have is, if I want a 340 and it doesn't come from a local, I will have to pay for shipping it and I won't be able to look at it in person, so I could be screwed either way.

Jack

I have two 1970 340 blocks and cranks I use for a table..

On another note, if 1000 dollars seems a little high, just think of Mopar Performance as they sell their LA and R3 bare blocks for 29 hundred and change.

Why not have a look?
It might be worth it if it's a good core block with everything you say.
If he said he wouldn't let you inspect it, i would say deal off.
Bring some measuring tools, and try to talk him down regardless.
Bring cash and be prepared to take it on the spot.
If it's all there and it is what he says it is or better, it's worth it.

Saving two hundred shipping and being able to inspect it i would say good deal. Especially if its what you want.I like to check them whole. I can turn a crank but a cracked cylinder is hell. I clamp a bike tube on the water pump to the thermostat housing,then loop a piece of hose between the heater in and out. pump it up with a bicycle pump and listen for air out the carb or exhaust or breather cap.If theres a leak you will hear it or see the tube deflate. Could always just be a head gasket but it makes a good bargaining chip if it leaks down. I call it the redneck check.

At about $2800 for a new 340 block I don't think I'd mess with the unknown unless we're talking #'s matching or the like. My buddy just bought a $700 boat anchor with two very thin core shifted cylinders. You can look and measure all day long and not really know until it's at the machine shop. My opinion only. 75Sport

I don't ever seem to be around,when these free,and $500 340's come available. I gave $1000 for mine. I would see if the guy would agree,to have the block checked at a machine shop,at my expense of coarse. If it checks out,I think that is a fair price,and you will have to have that done anyway. If not,your only out a few $'s,and not $1000. Just my .02,if it's worth it.

The places I have seen 340s crack most often is in the lifter valley, and across the side of the block. Of course, you'll want to check for excessive ridge, and see what the bore is. If it's been bored before, and needs it again, I don't think I'd be too interested in it.

$1000 seems kind of high right now, but that could change depending on what the other parts are, and what "fresh" heads mean. A lot of "fresh" heads were touched up, and then run hard for 50,000 miles. Not too fresh.

It could be a decent deal, and it could be way too much. Be skeptical. Don't go there expecting wonderful things, or already deciding to buy it. Emotions shouldn't be involved. And like others have said, a lot of times someone claiming to know nothing is really just playing dumb, hoping to catch a sucker.

If the owner doesn't know it's a 340, what does he think he has that's worth $1000? Certainly a 273-318-360 isn't worth that kind of money up there is it? If it checks out good from a machine shop and it's what you're looking for, the price isn't ridiculous.

The best deal I've seen in the last 3 years, was $800. for a '68 block, complete/disassembled with a spun crank bearing.

I think you're getting a fair shake Jack.
But "I" would still try to bring him down a $150., or so, I'm cheap, LOL.

1 grand for everything :tongue9:
If the heads check out and crank matches the block and is in good shape Snag it up Jack!! run the #er's and bring a mike with you for sure if you can check the cylinder for:read2: Well you know :happy10::happy10:
It would be a + to see 6 pack rods, or did they make them in 68 8)

Good luck on the 340 Coyote Jack, I don't own one, but wish I had one setting around :happy10: If I did :happy10:and in good shape 1.000 would not touch it :-D

I agree with 73-red duster.
If it is not cracked with fresh heads it is a good deal on the west coast.
73 block crank rods and heads no piston or cam and heads not fresh goes for 750 out here. 3-4 k out here for a running 68-70 340/ 800 for running late 70's 360 and trans.
340's are valued and hoarded out here.

Hi Jack. You are very right. They are really hard to find around here, I have been looking also. I would say that's a good deal. I had found a couple in N.S. but were priced higher, one at 5000.00 that was rebuilt 20 years ago and never run and the other was 2500.00 but didn't know what kind of shape it was in. Good luck. Bobby

too much to me, ive never had a 340 nor do i intend to get one. and its whack for you to think he knows nothing, ppl learn everything they can get about something before selling it thanks to the internet a few clicks and its all in front of them, hell i bet hes been on some of the mopar sites and checking prices, be cautious sadly ppl are snakes nowadays, i gave away my good truck for a mustang fox body for my lil brother,was supposedly rebuilt but i believe its about to throw a rod. never ever buy a fox body they suck ***. but theguys are right be cautious and take the full asking price along and check everything you can and deal. good luck

Lots of interesting responses here. Thanks for them. It appears to me that how good a deal it might be depends on what part of the continent you live in. I am not a babe in the woods. I will be going to look at what he has, armed to the teeth with measuring tools and a magnifying glass. I also have the part numbers of the block, heads and cranks that are the good pieces. When I talked to him on the phone it would have been pretty hard to act like he did if it was an act. Either that or he is the quickest thinker I have ever talked to. His ad did say one thing and when I pressed him for answers he admitted that things were a little different than what was in the ad. We will see on Saturday morning and I am prepared to walk away if things are not to my liking.

Jack

-
Back