Good Deal, Decent Deal or Bad Deal?

-
........Thats a decent deal..........Or he may b pretending he doesnt know anything......that way he's not on the hook if something is wrong with it....kim......

Up here definitely good deal, but like Kimmer said he could be playin possum..if its apart, have a machine shop chk it out and split the cost of inspection??

340 motors,,complete command big money, there are less of these motors produced then the 318 or 360 by far,,,all 340s were hi performance motors all had forged cranks except a small amount made in the end of 1972 and some in 1973 had cast cranks not all did,,,

all 340s had floating wrist pins,,,360s do not,,,340s use a netural balanced fly wheel like a 273 318 360s do not,,,

if its complete and rebuildable and in your buget ide grab it,, if not look for a running 360 just my 2 cents

For that kind of money Jack the pistons almost have to be reuseable. The first thing I'd do is grab the best looking piston and using a feeler guage between the skirt and cylinder wall check at the top and bottom of each hole. That'll give you your taper and if the piston is already an oversize it'll give you an idea whether the next size overbore is required. Obviously the bare block's got to be pristene also for the 1K IMO.

Jack is right, here in New Brunswick Canada , there is virtually nothing to be found , you couldn, t even buy a slant 6 anymore. I think if the heads are done and ready to bolt on , it is worth it for sure .I know wher there is to 340,s complete a 68 and a 70 , 2 miles away, friend of mine has had them for 30 years now , and will not sell.

unless you really need the 340 for a resto or the 8ci for a class or F.A.S.T. car, i don't see the advantage $1000 is high and you really won't know if the block is good until a sonic and crack check.

I just got back from looking at that engine. The block is a standard block that may need to be bored or maybe just honed, it's border line. The heads are X heads with 2.02 valves and adjustable rockers. The heads need to be cleaned up and probably some valve seals. They were also ported some. The crank and cam appear to be a right off. The rods and pistons are in good shape. There is a stock 4bbl intake. There are a bunch of other small parts, some used, some new.

Now sit down, I offered him $500 and we settled on $550.

I think I will be able to get some of the money back by selling the rods, pistons and intake.

Jack

Wow that is a very good deal and you are obviously a shrewd negotiator
Congrats

You guys are really going to hate me now. I just came in from unloading the truck. He threw a bunch of stuff in there I didn't see at first. New in the wrappers solid lifters. New bearings. New HV oil pump. New water pump. Complete set of push rods. New timing set. Nearly complete gasket set.

To say I have a grin on is an understatement.

Jack

Hell of a deal, I missed out on this last month:

Mopar 73 340 engine. Complete except pistons and cam/lifters (threw out, as these would be replaced in a rebuild anyways), all stock, all apart and hot tanked.
Nice block with main caps (STANDARD BORE!!! 4.040"), J heads, crank (STANDARD size), rods, stock intake, stock valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, water pump, bolts, rockers, pushrods, balancer, etc. You won't find a nicer core to build.
$750 FIRM!!!

-
Back