Good DeVilbiss Paint Gun With 3 Tips On Sale at TP Tools

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I have seen multiple threads where folks ask for guidance on an affordable paint gun. My answer is always the same. For the money, I think it is hard to beat the DeVilbiss Finish Line FLG gun. I have used them for many years. The one listed below is on sale at TP Tools for $50 off at $200. Plus it comes with 3 tips; 1.3, 1.4 and 1.8. So you would be covered for base coat, clear coat, single stage paints and primers. I would eventually get the 2.2 tip for polyester primers. You can thin polyester primers down a bit per mfg instructions and spray them with the 1.8 tip, but the 2.2 tip does work a little better. You really can't go wrong with this gun. Plus, they are super easy to clean.
DeVILBISS® FinishLine® FLG HVLP Finish Spray Gun

Gun.JPG

Devilbiss makes some good guns for the money. I have a Devilbiss Techa Pro Lite, which is pretty much the same gun as listed above. It makes me look like a better painter than I really am....lol. I just wish I had enough experience to know more about mixing and spraying according to temp and humidity. I've done pretty good by keeping the shop warm and using slow thinner and activators. There's a very fine line between the finish looking an inch deep....and sticking to the floor! :eek:

I sold them for years. Great products and they are good great for parts and kits.

Devilbiss makes a lot of great guns these days. Their DV1 is one of the best basecoat guns I have used in a long time.

For the home hobbist I think this gun is hard to beat. Easy clean up which is nice for people at home that don't want a bunch of chemicals to get rid of. Also versatile for different materials. I really just use mine for primer but I have sprayed everything from primer to water-borne basecoats to clears. It obviously doesn't come close to really quality guns but does ok for most things. They are coming out with an RP tip soon as well.

20240112_091907.jpg

What are people’s thoughts on high flow connections, needed? Plan on picking up this gun to shoot some epoxy primer to protect the metal for now, then later taking a shot at shooting color.

Not looking for a great paint job, just eventually hoping the car is one color. Added bonus, never sprayed a car before!

This is what I’ll be working with.

Dart Barona.jpeg

What are people’s thoughts on high flow connections, needed? Plan on picking up this gun to shoot some epoxy primer to protect the metal for now, then later taking a shot at shooting color.

Not looking for a great paint job, just eventually hoping the car is one color. Added bonus, never sprayed a car before!

This is what I’ll be working with.

View attachment 1716191582
I use high flow fittings on all of my guns. It depends on the gun but HVLP is about volume not pressure. Also remember to regulate your air at the wall not at the gun. The gun regulator needs to be wide open and pressure drop at the wall. What's the point of a high flow fitting if you choke it to death a half inch away from the gun.

I just tried out my new Iwata Kiwami 1.3 on base and clear. I like it. My FLG3 is a primer gun. I also ordered an offshore Aeropro R500 A10 for $80 c/w 4 tips. I’m not sure if that will be a base, clear or primer gun.

ps I hear the FLG5 is a very good gun

Last edited:
I use high flow fittings on all of my guns. It depends on the gun but HVLP is about volume not pressure. Also remember to regulate your air at the wall not at the gun. The gun regulator needs to be wide open and pressure drop at the wall. What's the point of a high flow fitting if you choke it to death a half inch away from the gun.
Great, thank you for the info. I have a big radiator mounted to my Quincy along with two water separators, separate pressure regulator and two drains in the copper air lines.

Ive seen where people mount the little filters to the gun, not sure if it’s needed, but don’t think it would hurt.

Thanks again!

What are people’s thoughts on high flow connections, needed? ...
I'm no pro but I would say not critical unless your gun is a big air hog and you have a long run. Dry clean air is important as well as quality of your prep work and spray room cleanliness.

I'm no pro but I would say not critical unless your gun is a big air hog and you have a long run. Dry clean air is important as well as quality of your prep work and spray room cleanliness.
For reference I’ve ordered the gun above. Not sure what constitutes high volume for a gun, but since this one is listed as HV/LP I would think it isn’t too bad. Not a big deal to add high flow connectoons, can just branch off the header pipe.

-
Back