Good idea Bad idea??

-

78kitcar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Guys im dropping my k-member down getting ready for blasting and im having a hard time getting torsion bars out so i was thinking if i take out the 4 mounting bolts for the kmember (support it of course) and wack the member with a dead blow towards the front of the car they should pop out of there sockets GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA?? i dont want to spend $35 for the tool i'll use once or do i suck it up and buy the tool?

That tool can be made for nearly nothing. I'd hate to ruin a k member or torsion bar because I tried to be cheap though. Try a rental place or auto parts store. A lot of them have tools for rent.

You would need to drill the rivets out and remove the 2 plastic splash guards before the K will slide forward.
Alternately... Remove the nuts from the lower arm pivot shafts and remove the retainer clips from behind the torsion bars. With a heavy shop hammer knock the lower arms back and the torsion bars go too. Once they drop out of the rear sockets, knock that arm forward and it shoud come off the bar.
Please remember to mark the ends of the bars or make paper notes so they go back in where they came from.

You do know there are keeper rings at the rear of the T bars? You do know the tension bolts need to be let off all the way? If your still having trouble i can send you the tool and you can use it and send it back unless you live in Cuba or one of the auto parts stores have one for loan. You pay shipping. Let me know. Be careful.

Thanks guys Im gonna fool with it this weekend small block thats very nice of you but i will see what i can do without the proper tools

-
Back