Good price for third member or not?

-
Its a 741 housing with crappy highway gears. Seems expensive to me but what do I know??...I would think someone here on the board would have a nice 742 or 489 case with some decent 3:23's or 3:55's they would be happy to sell you for less??...IS it just me or is this expensive guys???.......

a little high that is outrageous. You can do yourself a set or 3.23's with posi unit and eveything for less than 400 and thats new ring and pinon and everything. Ive seen single track 3.23's sell for 100 bucks or less. I would stay away.

I dont know how you can build new for $400 when a new sure grip is all most $500 but that guys price is high for a 741 case with 294s.

Maybe in line for a 489 or 742 case with new sure grip and 355s or steeper.

Holy **** thats guy is crazy. Highway gears, 741 case, no yoke! Maybe worth that if it came with a housing and some BBP axles!!

I paid $175 shipped for a 489 case 3.23 open with yoke that had been newly rebuilt. Guess that leaves me $624 for a TrueTrac if the price in this auction is not out of line.

i agree it seems high for the 741 case and it also says the 2.94 gears are good used oem doesnt seem it can be fully rebuilt if he is using used gear sets

I didnt mean new posi. Meant by rebuilding a clutch type. You can buy used clutch type posi for 100-200 $$$

A local craigslist had a 3.23 sure grip in a 489 case for $250, which I thought was a fair price. I paid $350 for the used 4.10 in my duster. I remember way back when you could buy a pig with any gear for under $100. Those were the days.

Its a 741 housing with crappy highway gears. Seems expensive to me but what do I know??...I would think someone here on the board would have a nice 742 or 489 case with some decent 3:23's or 3:55's they would be happy to sell you for less??...IS it just me or is this expensive guys???.......

My sentiments exactly. No yoke too!

Deffinetly too much for a 741 with used hwy. gears and no yoke. I see 741's comparable to this one go for $350-400 and they have a yoke on them.

There is a guy that shows up at the Portland, OR swapmeet every year and all he sells are ford 9 inch and mopar 8 3/4 3rd members that he rebuilds. He gets about $450 each all day long.

Hey thanks guys, i was thinking he was a little high, but cheaper then some of the new setups i see in the magazines. I havent decided on wether im going with highway gears yet. Im gonna end up going with a 4 speed and want my car to feel good on long straches of highway. How are 3.23s on the open highway? I was thinking the 2.94s would feel sporty enough at slower speeds, but really good on the highway. Im not building a 1/4 mile car, but also dont want it to feel like a slug either.
I guess the 489 case is the case to have, but sense im kinda building a cruiser will a 742 case be ok? If so, sounds like I can pick up one for a little cheaper then what this guys selling his for, what do i need to look for as far hunting down a "good" used third member?

Some say the 742 case is the best because the pinion`s not tapered like the 489 cases components. For the highway you`ll be just fine with any case you choose. If you look and you`re patient I would wait to get a clutch style sure-grip with a 3.23:1 gear. The 3.23 is good for the highway and yet doesn`t sacrifice all of your low end pick up. I just sold a 742 SG w/3.23 gears not more than 3 weeks ago for $350.00. Depending on how you`re fixed financially you may even consider an OD transmission, that way you can have the best of both worlds.

IMO,

Unless you are putting crazy power, a 4 speed or auto/transbrake, and slicks to an 8 3/4, a 741 case is just fine. Are the 489 and 742 cases a bit stronger, yes, due to the pinion bearing size. However, I believe they ALL neck down to the same spline which is the narrowest area of the pinion. A 741 case has a larger pinion bearing set than a 9" ford and nobody seems to flinch at those.:-k

I'll take EVERY trashy 741, sure grip, I can get if y'all think they aren't worth a hill of beans. Would you like my mailing address? 8)

I found a cheap third member on ebay. 741 case, 2.94 gear ratio, but no posi, $150 and in good shape. I wanted to try out the 2.94 gear ratio and this whole third member is the price of a new ring and pinion set.
If I liked this gear ratio i could either have posi added or if you guys thought the 741 case wasnt strong enough for the 5.7 hemi (345-380hp and 385-404 torque), then I could start looking around for a a 489 or 742 case while continuing to drive my car with the 741 with 2.94.
Heres another question I have. I noticed on those new Yukon 489 cases it says 489 gears only. I assume that means I can only use gears for a 489 case, is this for all 489 cases or just the nodular yukon 489 cases? Also did they or do they make 2.94 gears for 489 cases or even 742 cases? I wont know for sure if the 2.94 gears are what Ill like in the end, but for the price I thought it might not hurt to give them a try.
Maybe I can use this third member for long road trips like Power Tour and later if I so desired, I could have a nice 489 or 742 case set up for local fun?
What do ya guys think?

-
Back