Good stereo setup for an A body?

-

Rude72*

Reaction score
I am looking to install a new stereo for my '72 Duster. I don't want anything "crazy", just a solid sounding system. Probably looking at 6x9s in the back with a single DIN head unit, and probably a power amp. Suggestions or other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I am looking to install a new stereo for my '72 Duster. I don't want anything "crazy", just a solid sounding system. Probably looking at 6x9s in the back with a single DIN head unit, and probably a power amp. Suggestions or other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Eliminate the head unit entirely and spend that money on a DSP(Digital Signal Processor) with built in amp instead.

Instead, download Tidal onto your smart phone for CD quality and above music streamed directly to the DSP and then to your speakers.

If you conceal the speakers, no one will know you have a very nice system by looking at the interior of your car.

Eliminate the head unit entirely and spend that money on a DSP(Digital Signal Processor) with built in amp instead.

Instead, download Tidal onto your smart phone for CD quality and above music streamed directly to the DSP and then to your speakers.

If you conceal the speakers, no one will know you have a very nice system by looking at the interior of your car.
This is why I posted! Getting suggestions and ideas! Thank you! I am not familiar with DSPs or what they even look like. But I like researching things and this will give me a great opportunity to so!

P.S. What do you think a setup (like the one you described) might cost (ball park)? Thanks again!

I am old school. I like having an actual radio in the dash. It killed me to do it, but I cut Vixen's dash for a single din and I am really glad I did. I found a nice little Custom Autosound unit that has am/fm/aux/mp3 slot and c/d. Plus, it actually looks old school.
This is it.
[/URL]
That looks cool! Unfortunately, the more I think about it, I don't listen to the radio and the only music I listen to is on my Spotify playlist.

That looks cool! Unfortunately, the more I think about it, I don't listen to the radio and the only music I listen to is on my Spotify playlist.
I BARELY listen to the radio. But I have a collection of DVDs so that's why I wanted the DVD player. It's nice to have something that looks the part.

My 66 Valiant had the dash cut for a single DIN when I got it. There was a decent Sony unit in there at the time. It has the modern bells and whistles, and plenty of power at 45 watts to all four speakers. I put a pair of 4" in the dash and some 6x9's in the back. It makes more than enough volume and sounds very good. Going with most any name brand dash unit and speakers will work nicely in your car.

Would I be able to stream an app like Spotify to the DSP? (that's where all my music comes from)

How does that work?

How many channel DSP would I need?

Sorry for all the questions!

Unless you have cd’s get one of these head units without a cd . Super compact and they have Bluetooth and jacks for your phone etc.
DONT BUY THIS BRAND ! I have 2 that failed quickly. Get a sony or alpine etc…
I made a tiny box for below the dash . Single din face

IMG_1287.jpeg

My 66 Valiant had the dash cut for a single DIN when I got it. There was a decent Sony unit in there at the time. It has the modern bells and whistles, and plenty of power at 45 watts to all four speakers. I put a pair of 4" in the dash and some 6x9's in the back. It makes more than enough volume and sounds very good. Going with most any name brand dash unit and speakers will work nicely in your car.
Thanks for the reply. I will have to be happy with just the 6 x 9s since I don't want to cut into the front doors for door mounts.

Thanks for the reply. I will have to be happy with just the 6 x 9s since I don't want to cut into the front doors for door mounts.
I got the bracket that Jerry on here makes. I forget his screen name. It's a nice aluminum bracket that mounts 2 3.5" speakers in the front where the factory speaker goes.

Didn't want to cut the dash and don't like the looks of the DIN stuff bolted under the dash. Ended up with a round marine guage pod radio with blue tooth and MP3 capabilty mounted under the dash with the rest of my guages. Only thing I don't like about it is the push button up/down volume control. I've bought a second unit that has a rotary knob that I still need to swap.

That looks pretty interesting (and simplistic). Questions: where do you plan on plugging in the power cord? Will this work with my iPhone using Spotify? Thanks for sharing!
planned on wiring it up under the dash (not sure yet) Should play anything from your phone via bluetooth
So you tune stations with your stock radio? But I only have an AM radio… an Am/FM would cost more than a complete aftermarket system
Doesn't have a radio, just plays whatever music you can send to it via bluetooth.

planned on wiring it up under the dash (not sure yet) Should play anything from your phone via bluetooth

Doesn't have a radio, just plays whatever music you can send to it via bluetooth.
Ah.. but I like to hear Fox and NPR in the mornings so it wouldn’t work for me .

Would I be able to stream an app like Spotify to the DSP? (that's where all my music comes from)

How does that work?

How many channel DSP would I need?

Sorry for all the questions!
As mentioned above, any streaming app that goes out via Bluetooth will work. Look on-line for all the DSP's available. Places like Woofers etc and others will have amplified and non-amplified DSP's. Each speaker will have it's own channel, and others you can bridge the amp outputs to feed more power to , say a woofer in the trunk etc. The other nice thing about DSP's is that you can electronically cross over your speakers and use Time Delay to tune the sound.

As mentioned above, any streaming app that goes out via Bluetooth will work. Look on-line for all the DSP's available. Places like Woofers etc and others will have amplified and non-amplified DSP's. Each speaker will have it's own channel, and others you can bridge the amp outputs to feed more power to , say a woofer in the trunk etc. The other nice thing about DSP's is that you can electronically cross over your speakers and use Time Delay to tune the sound.
This is great information! Thank you! So, I will have two 6x9s and possibly a sub. So I guess I'm looking at at least a 4 channel DSP?

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

-
Back