Good stereo setup for an A body?

-
Last edited:
Dash speakers would work much better but that would be a lot of work . Or maybe some in the lower dash if you don’t mind cutting the holes.

Dash speakers would work much better but that would be a lot of work . Or maybe some in the lower dash if you don’t mind cutting the holes.
Yes. And your right about the work. I'll keep searching for alternatives.

I have used a couple of the Bluetooth amplifiers in post 15. They work great. Hide it somewhere, hook it up to ignition power and speakers. Turn volume all the way up and control everything from your phone.

Thanks for the reply. I will have to be happy with just the 6 x 9s since I don't want to cut into the front doors for door mounts.
Depending on what speaker you have in the dash, there are several upgrades that are easy to do. No door cutting necessary. I did this in my 66 with a homemade speaker holder. It went in from below after loosening the heater controls to get good access.

DSCN1696.JPG

DSCN1700.JPG

There are a couple of options to mount a pair of 3-1/2" speakers, but before buying one of the metal templates, pull your speaker first. There are two shapes for sure (and maybe more, IDK?) to fit the dash. Here are the two plates I have, laid over each other so you can see the difference. The white one is for 4" speakers and mounts from below, the black one is for 3-1/2" speakers and at least in my car, it went in from above.

20240313_215313.jpg

20240313_215335.jpg

This one went in from above, it's in my 72 Coronet.

20240316_190649.jpg

If this looks like more monkey business than you're interested in doing, Crutchfield sells a single 4x10 with a dual voice coil. I have one in my truck, it's surprisingly good.

I throw this JBL speaker in the front seat and connect via bluetooth to my phone. I can stream anything from Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora to movies on Max. When I get to my destination, I pop it in the glove box and the interior goes back to stock. It also allows me to answer and talk on my phone handsfree, which is very handy. It has a good charge life and puts out a decent sound.

1727778699342.jpeg

I throw this JBL speaker in the front seat and connect via bluetooth to my phone. I can stream anything from Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora to movies on Max. When I get to my destination, I pop it in the glove box and the interior goes back to stock. It also allows me to answer and talk on my phone handsfree, which is very handy. It has a good charge life and puts out a decent sound.

View attachment 1716310065
I was considering this idea but since I am kind of picky about the sound quality (especially bass) I was certain that Bluetooth speakers wouldn't satisfy my needs in that area.

Depending on what speaker you have in the dash, there are several upgrades that are easy to do. No door cutting necessary. I did this in my 66 with a homemade speaker holder. It went in from below after loosening the heater controls to get good access.

View attachment 1716309957

View attachment 1716309958

There are a couple of options to mount a pair of 3-1/2" speakers, but before buying one of the metal templates, pull your speaker first. There are two shapes for sure (and maybe more, IDK?) to fit the dash. Here are the two plates I have, laid over each other so you can see the difference. The white one is for 4" speakers and mounts from below, the black one is for 3-1/2" speakers and at least in my car, it went in from above.

View attachment 1716309960

View attachment 1716309961

This one went in from above, it's in my 72 Coronet.

View attachment 1716309962

If this looks like more monkey business than you're interested in doing, Crutchfield sells a single 4x10 with a dual voice coil. I have one in my truck, it's surprisingly good.
Thanks for the post. Yeah, I'm not a good
"do it yourselfer" type of guy, unfortunately.

You can buy kick panels with speakers, or just the panels and buy your own speakers. I think they work better than dash speakers and are much easier to install. I prefer the 4x6 over the round ones

I was considering this idea but since I am kind of picky about the sound quality (especially bass) I was certain that Bluetooth speakers wouldn't satisfy my needs in that area.
I get it. I consider myself a bit of an audiophile myself. I have decent stereos in my other two dailys. This won't rattle your windows, that's what your exhaust is for.

Ahhhh... pardon my ignorance! Are they available in "Duster" interior kick panels colors? If not, I guess they could be painted.
A-bodies all have the same kick panels.
In order for the kick panel speakers to be heard, you have to adjust the front-rear fader.
Another thing you can do is install 2 4" speakers in the dash speaker opening. Someone on this site makes a nice adapter for that opening.

A-bodies all have the same kick panels.
In order for the kick panel speakers to be heard, you have to adjust the front-rear fader.
Another thing you can do is install 2 4" speakers in the dash speaker opening. Someone on this site makes a nice adapter for that opening.
I am thinking of relocating my 4” kick panal speakers to the lower part of the dash .
I adjust the fader but they have no reverb space butted up against the body .

-
Back