Good template for Subframe connectors??

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Anyone know of or have a good template for subframe connectors for Darts? I decided to go a new approace to my build and need some.

Yes I dont mind that they weld to the floor but I dont want to go through the floor. Most likely .120 wall 3x2

If you turn them so the 3" inch part is flat I thinkthey will fit in there with out hitting the floor. Then you notch the end so it will go over/around the rear frame rail.

Most connector kits don't weld to the floor. What you are doing is tieing the front and rear frames together. Welding to the floor is a plus but not a must. One thing is if you are going to use 2X3 how will you be cutting them if you make them fit the floor? If yu have the tools to do it you ca make your own template. Get some cardboard and start cutting and fitting it to the floor till you get it fitting flush. Then transfer that to your 2X3 and cut it out.

Take it from somebody that's made the mistake of NOT welding connectors to the floor. DO IT. If you don't, you will get rocks and debris caught between the floor and connectors and it will squeak and pop and drive you slam crazy. Not to mention, yes, it adds to the structural ridgidity if you weld them to the floor. I wouldn't do it any other way. Glad you decided to keep your car, BTW.

! made my own templates scribed on cardboard. You need 4 of them. 1 inner & 1 outer each side, and 8 feet of 1/8" X 2 1/2 strap. Cut all 4 sides from 1/8" plate. Put outer sides on first and weld. Use spacer to locate inner sides, weld in. Then add the bottoms and weld away. Mine fit perfect, and cost about $20 and my time.

when i made mine i didn't weld them to the floor. it made a world of difference in the handling of the car. cost me around $20 to make them. i may have pics, if your interested in seeing them let me know

wonder if anyone has a set of them US Cartool ones and would make me a template?? Heck I would pay a few bucks for a template.

Sure If you have picks sent them over.

From what I have read on here the US Cartool connectors really only get you half way to a goog fit. I decided that if I have to grind that mutch I might as well grind it all and get a really good fit. By the way they make a world of diferance.

From what I have read on here the US Cartool connectors really only get you half way to a goog fit. I decided that if I have to grind that mutch I might as well grind it all and get a really good fit. By the way they make a world of diferance.
Not always true, I recently posted pics of my U.S Car Tool install and several other members had similar results in regards to fitment, guess it depends on the car floor and/or installer.

wonder if anyone has a set of them US Cartool ones and would make me a template?? Heck I would pay a few bucks for a template.

Sure If you have picks sent them over.
I wish you would have posted this request 3 weeks ago I would have hooked you up with a "free" template.

Factory tolerances are so far out of whack,it's impossible to make frame connectors that fit without mods. I like the idea of a template. I want to do the same thing.make my own that weld to the floor. In order to get enough material I cut the sides and top from a fridge so it is one continuous piece. Then I'll mount a couple 4x4 posts to my bench long enough to make all the bends. Templates are the tricky part. Im still not 100% sure how to go about it yet.

I wish you would have posted this request 3 weeks ago I would have hooked you up with a "free" template.

um well you still can that baby is all nice and clean still right? I would imagine the floor contour would be similar to mine which I know even then I would have to make adjustments.

uninstalled it would have been a 5 minute job just lay it down and trace, now obviously I would be making a complete template for my floorboard, including all the cut to get it right .....sorry this was a pre-install offer. But theres several members that have these specific connector uninstalled maybe they will help, not to mention if this is for a Dart/ Scamp it's a different connector.

so did you cut the rear rail or "cap over it"? That looks like a nice design it does tie to the floor and seems to fit well. You say thats 1 1/2" x 3 laid flat? Then just notch the rear? What size wall?

uninstalled it would have been a 5 minute job just lay it down and trace, now obviously I would be making a complete template for my floorboard, including all the cut to get it right .....sorry this was a pre-install offer. But theres several members that have these specific connector uninstalled maybe they will help, not to mention if this is for a Dart/ Scamp it's a different connector.

Yeah i was giving you a hard time. Thanks for the offer pre-installed. But I like Mad Darts they seem to be the answer.

so did you cut the rear rail or "cap over it"? That looks like a nice design it does tie to the floor and seems to fit well. You say thats 1 1/2" x 3 laid flat? Then just notch the rear? What size wall?

If I remember correctly it is .160 Wall 1.5"x3" Steel.

Yes it caps over the rear rail. Very easy to build and cost me about $25.00

The car is not running yet.....getting there.

In the first link you can see how I did alot of stuff, Mini Tub, Shortening Axle, 4 Link, Subframe connectors and Torque Boxes.

67 Dart Triangulated 4 link & Mini Tub thread here....
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=101437

67 Dart Twin Turbo almost done...
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=116512

I do have a 70 Dart with a 410 Small Block in it. I have connectors and factory torque boxes in the rear. It runs great with them. On the 67 I added Torque Boxes in the front of the car also. Yes it is good and solid!!

I did mine like Mad Dart...used 2 x 3 x .125 square tubing......I tied the brace to the roll bar into the subframe connector..along with some spotting welding to the floor.

Attachments

• 100_2741a.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 100_2742a.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 420
  • Picture 463a.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 423
-
Back