Got a problem, need help/ gas leak

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
I recently got a new gas tank and sending unit and i installed it with out any problems. I unfortunately later broke off the end where the wire goes for the fuel guage. I had to take out the unit again to repair. Thats all done and seems fine. My problem is while i had the tank out again before i put it back in i tipped it to see if it would leak,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Well it did,bad. Not from the repair but the dam seal. I tried and tried but cant get the thing to stop leaking.........All parts are new. Totally stumped. Any Ideas????????

Are you using the new locking ring? If so, use your old one, or bend the tabs on the ring to a more extreme angle than they're at. They are too shallow so the lock ring doesn't put enough pressure on the gasket. I had the same problem.

Not sure about the old lock ring, will have to look around, yes new ring as for the tabs are you talking about the ones that stick up that fit in at the tank? im sure thats what you mean,just want to be sure, Thanks Mike

Are you using the new locking ring? If so, use your old one, or bend the tabs on the ring to a more extreme angle than they're at. They are too shallow so the lock ring doesn't put enough pressure on the gasket. I had the same problem.

X2

The fact that newer lock rings are stamped out of thinner metal or not stamped correctly is a well documented problem. We chased a dripping sending unit for two weeks. Tried different gaskets, doubling up gaskets, sealer, etc Put the old lock ring on the new sender, no leaks! :mumum:

When I put my new sender in I didn't even bother trying the new ring.
Just cleaned up the old one a put it all back together (no leaks)

Edd try to find a new gasket for the sending unit. When I was helping you with it your other new gasket looked like it might have swelled a bit from the gas. The rubber they use now is terrible not to mention the crap gas that we have. I'm sure that your lock ring is not the problem but that seal raises suspicion. If you don't have any luck finding one let me know we have a bunch of odds & ends out in Dad's shop, might be able find something there.

Edd try to find a new gasket for the sending unit. When I was helping you with it your other new gasket looked like it might have swelled a bit from the gas. The rubber they use now is terrible not to mention the crap gas that we have. I'm sure that your lock ring is not the problem but that seal raises suspicion. If you don't have any luck finding one let me know we have a bunch of odds & ends out in Dad's shop, might be able find something there.
Hey, Ronnie. I have 3 gaskets and lock rings. used a new gasket. Its the lock ring. I tried the bending trick with a better result but still a leak. I have a used one coming and I will keep the gas at a minimum to run it. Trying to get this this mobile enough for welding. Thanks for the help and reply, Cheers

-
Back