got a V12 today

-

mischiefdart

Reaction score
I swapped a 98 vw passat 1.8 turbo for a jag XJ12 with 6.0 V12 engine. The vw was just sitting and I was tired of fixing it all the time. They break expensive too! the jag has irs, fuel injected with direct fire ignition so no distributors. It is an auto but not hard to convert to a T5. Seen some interesting cars with the V12 transplant. GT6 triumph, 240z, ausin healy and more. Not sure what I will put it in yet. Need to do some measuring.

I don't know if you want a congratulations or an "I'm sorry."

Most of those Jag V12s have got replaced by small block Chevys just to have something reliable under the hood.

I swapped a 98 vw passat 1.8 turbo for a jag XJ12 with 6.0 V12 engine. The vw was just sitting and I was tired of fixing it all the time. They break expensive too! the jag has irs, fuel injected with direct fire ignition so no distributors. It is an auto but not hard to convert to a T5. Seen some interesting cars with the V12 transplant. GT6 triumph, 240z, ausin healy and more. Not sure what I will put it in yet. Need to do some measuring.

Look for something unique and unexpected to put it in. An old jeep or panel truck, perhaps even an old station wagon. Early 50's, perhaps.
I've seen exotic engines in a Crosly, and a Bantam. Very cool, and a bit of a challenge.

I don't know if you want a congratulations or an "I'm sorry."

Most of those Jag V12s have get replaced by small block Chevys just to have something reliable under the hood.
and it really should only be a conversation piece- after all, lots of 6 bangers make more power than those V12s

Had a 94 BMW 850csi in my driveway for a while, 5.6L v12, same engine used for mcclarens. pretty snotty car, and it had 4 wheel steering, black everything! Very smooth running engine.

So lemme get this straight, you traded a VW for an older Jag because you felt VW's broke too much and parts were too expensive?!?

Seriously the Jag V12 had a lot of power potential and was a nearly bulletproof engine so long as you don't overheat one (which it would not tolerate). Pretty sure all XJS and XJ12 Jags used the universal case TH400. There are TH700R4 and T5 swap kits out there. Dual 4 bbl intake manifolds exist too.

I like the V12 and don't expect too much from it. Just a unique powerplant to play with. I did some research and am aware of their strengths and weaknesses. And yes the vw was the least reliable and most expensive car to repair I ever owned. The jag runs well and whatever get the transplant certainly wont be a daily driver. I like the idea of a spitfire but want to look one over well before I commit. I am sure there are a fair amount of members that will say whats the point but oh well. I have my small block 4 speed dart to drive and working on a big block car too. Just want to build something different.

...Just want to build something different.
Precisely, and the Jag V-12 is a very different engine. Putting it in a "different" car will give you a new challenge, and create new interest.

Keep us posted. I, for one, find this very interesting. :thumbup:

I was thinking of putting a Jag V-12 either in a boat (with twin turbos) or a rat rod thing........or a bike.:D

Cudavert there was a motorcycle on google images that had a jag V12 in it. Looked dangerous to me. I thought about stuffing it in an early a-body. It would sound like a slant six, have fuel injection and 300 horsepower. The later V12 has identical dowell locations as a small block chevy and a Lakewood scatter shield can be modified to work fairly easily and someone makes an aluminum bell that fits tremec and some others. The automatic has to go.

-
Back