Got in a hurry, ruined my day too.

-

Corrupt_Reverend

Reaction score
Got all the gears and clutches back in my 904. Went to install the little front band strut thingie only to discover I put the band in backwards... :banghead:

Just wanted to vent my retardation. haha

Edit: I discovered this after getting the oil pump back in. Gonna cobble together a slidehammer to use instead of going and renting again.

**** happens, but you found it before it was too late. I changed crank bearings with the motor IN the car, got it all back together and found a new bearing shell on the floor under the jackstand.....ARGHHHH! :-O

Hey CR,
Got a tip 4U. You know those 2 threaded holes that you usually screw the slidehammer into? Well if you screw bolts into there instead then you can use two of those heel-bars and pop that pump cover right outta there. (I use Sears/Craftsman bars,but others should work too). Especially if you lubed it with a rubber lube before it went in. The exact right length bolt works nice.IIRC its right around 2 inches. I mighta used a couple of the bellhouse bolts.Or maybe the extension bolts.If the bolts are too short a lot of the prying force goes into the case, and I suppose you could punch a hole in it. Its never happened to me; jus saying.

Don't need anything to pull the pump. Stand the trans on the bellhousing and tap the tailshaft with a dead blow. It will fall out.

Never used or needed a puller.

Yup, you can also make some flat-head screw in studs installed deep enough to get a bolt on them. Pops right off.

Take your time, check 3 times. I've had my blunders too, just remember; it's easier to do it now, rather under the car covered in red oil.

Thanks everyone. I don't feel quite as silly now. haha

And I'll definitely give these removal methods a try before building a puller. Big thanks on the suggestions!

If you don't want to put your hand under the pump/drum assembly, Get a couple of longer bolts and screw them into the pump mount bolt holes. When the pump drops out, it stops at the bolt heads.

If you don't want to put your hand under the pump/drum assembly, Get a couple of longer bolts and screw them into the pump mount bolt holes. When the pump drops out, it stops at the bolt heads.

I was just going to pile a bunch of rags under it, but this sounds like a better idea. Thanks!

-
Back