got kick down linkage hooked up---but help

-

gotdust57@yahoo

Reaction score
i got my kickdown linkage hooked up but no matter how i set it at carb it always pulls the kickdown forward the only way i can get it to go back all the way to engage the kickdown with wot or anyway is to push it by hand no matter if i put bolt in front or back of slide bracket, it is regular kickdown not lokar please help. thanks

It's really hard to help without hands on. I did have problems as well. Read this

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=9891&highlight=kickdown

BTW, the kickdown lever is suppose to stay forward at idle and only go's back as you increase the accel. You just want to make sure that at WOT the throttle lever will push the kickdown all the way back at the trans. You also..want to make sure that when the kickdown is all the way back that the lever on the throttle has completely opened "WOT"
So...a long return spring keeps the kickdown lever forward at the carb. As you step on the gas, the throttle lever starts to open and pushes the kickdown back. Lift your foot off the gas and the kickdown go's forward again! Now depending on your kind of carb and set-up?? Look at the pics in the link to get an idea on how things are put together, then make your adjustments!

thanks my kickdown looks a little like that pic but no matter what i do i always goes forward unless i push linkage rod by hand maybe i dont have enough springs, thanks i will try to send pic

thanks my kickdown looks a little like that pic but no matter what i do i always goes forward unless i push linkage rod by hand maybe i dont have enough springs, thanks i will try to send pic

I haven't seen a setup like that before! I can't tell by your pic, but do you have a upper bellcrank? If not...I can't see how your kickdown lever rotates to push your trans lever back??

Your problem is where you have the kickdown connected. It needs to be much higher. You've got it mounted below the center of the throttle shaft. It needs to be above it so it will push back on it. When it's mounted lower that the throttle shaft it will allways pull on it no matter what you do. On stock linkage it is mounted off the same stud as the accellerator cable. Uses a special long stud to do this.

How about finding one of these..

DSCF0001.JPG

sorta looks like old style bell crank linkage ,,,and newer style linkage together,,

so are you saying to move slide arm up to the accel cable or are you saying i am going to have to modify the kickdown lever to get to hook up on the same bolt as accel cable, and can i take off stud where it is hooked to now and use it to put accel cable and kickdown on same one? thanks

does anybody have correct one? thanks

Sorry dude! I don't know what to tell you! It looks like you tried to mod a few other things..like your accel cable hold down as well.

How about car crushers near you?...Find a older chysler with an auto and take the complete kickdown unit, springs rods and crank.

See my other reply. The throttle cable and the kickdown mount on the same stud ABOVE the pivot of the linkage. I'll take a pic tomorrow. I also have a somewhat less molested kickdown setup I'll send ya if need be.

go to a cable kick down,,,easy to install,,there is a company advertises in mopar performance,, i will not spell it correctly,,,no magazine to look at,,

bushlon,,thay have cable kick down,,,and brackets for like 127.00,,or go to a junk yard,,any 91-03 ram,,will have a cable kick down,,,or a dakota,,or a durango,,,with a 5.2 or a 5.9,,get all the brackets,,,

-
Back